Would my breast augmentation be considered cosmetic or reconstructive?

Last year, I was diagnosed with cervical cancer which resulted in a hysterectomy (everything but the ovaries) at the age of 31. Prior to this, I weighed about 165lbs (5'3"). My breasts were a D cup. I lost about 45lbs and now I am barely a full B cup and I have some sagging. I am looking to breast augmentation to get to a full D. Would this be considered reconstructive or cosmetic? As in would I be able to get financial assistance for this procedure due to my history? Thank you for your help!

Unfortunately, No

Dear caseyjoann,
I am very happy you are surviving your cervical cancer diagnosis. Unfortunately, no insurance company would consider your loss of breast fullness a reconstructive venture. I hope this has been helpful to you. Robert D. Wilcox, MD

Would breast augmentation be considered reconstructive?

No, unfortunately, breast augmentation to correct tissue loss is not considered reconstructive. Insurance would not cover it at all. Sorry! 

Dustin L. Reid, MD

Breast Augmentation Not Covered by Insurance

I'm sorry to hear of your past health conditions. Unfortunately the loss of volume and fullness of your breasts would not be considered reconstructive and would not be covered by insurance in the least bit.

Cosmetic breast augmentation

Loss of volume with deflation of the breasts is a cosmetic condition. No insurance should cover this. See a board certified ethical ASAPS plastic surgeon in consultation. good luck...

Larry Weinstein, MD
Morristown Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation

Thank you for your question. Many people experience deflation and sagging of the breasts for various reasons and improving the breast appearance is considered cosmetic in these cases, though there can arguably be many benefits.

I recommend that you meet with a board certified Plastic Surgeon in person for a consultation to discuss your goals and find out what your options are.

All the best

Cosmetic or Reconstructive

Thank you for your question and very sorry about your experience with cervical cancer.  I hope you are truly on the mend and feeling better.  Unfortunately, I don't believe you are going to be able to have breast surgery covered by insurance at this time.  However, there are a variety of financing options that many board certified plastic surgeons offer to help stretch out the payment for breast augmentation.  I would recommend making an appointment with a board certified plastic surgeon who uses 3D imaging to at least see what kind of look you would receive after augmentation.  Often times I have found that this helps my patients who have experienced a severe illness such as you have to feel feminine and beautiful again.  

Wishing you the very best on your road to recovery!

Steven Camp MD

Steven M. Camp, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon