Botox for under eyes. Is it safe? What are the side-effects from having it just once? (Photo)

I have 20 units of botox free and want to use it for under my eyes to plump the area and hopefully lighten it from the chronic dark circles, as well as hide the veins on the sides. I don't ever want to get used to getting injections on a regular basis, but I am considering getting it just ONE TIME for my wedding. What long-term effects can I expect. I want to back out from the idea if getting it once will worsen/damage that area forever or something. Thank you!

Lower lid volume loss and pigmentation change is NOT treatable with Botox

Be wary of the "free Botox" especially if it is a gift from a physicians office.  Doctors with any experience and skill do not need to "give away" Botox to get business.

The concerns you have need to be addressed with fillers and PRP and skin care -NOT Botox. 

You need to see a board certified PS and get the assessment and treatment options that are correct for your situation - even if you need to go to an office that is not providing the "free Botox". 

We have many ways to optimize your results, cannulas, pre-chilling the skin, use of additional epi in the filler etc.  Please consider the timing of the treatments wrt the date of your wedding in the rare event that the physician causes a bruise during the treatment.

congratulations on your upcoming wedding.

All the best.

Scott Barr, MD, FRCSC

ww.skinmedispa.ca

Sudbury Plastic Surgeon

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

All the best.

Scott Barr, MD, FRCSC

ww.skinmedispa.ca

Sudbury Plastic Surgeon

Improving under eye hollows with Botox?

Botox is not used for under eye hollows. This problem is treated with fillers. I like to use Restylane here and always use cannulas for safety, comfort, and less downtime. This product is reversible with an enzyme called hyaluronidase. You must go to an experienced physician for this because it can become lumpy, bruised, or swollen. Rare incidences are visual changes or skin loss can occur so experience is especially important for this injection.

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Improving under eye hollows with Botox?

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Botox question

Botox should almost never be used in the lower eyelid area.

You need to address your issues with a plastic surgeon and seek treatment that will help you. Good luck from New York City

Botox question

What to do for under eyes?

Thank you for sharing your photo and question. Botox is not used for filling the lower eyelids. Restylane is the product of choice for that area. See an experienced eyelid specialist for comprehensive evaluation and discussion of possible treatment options. 

Good luck,

What to do for under eyes?

Good luck,

Botox for under eyes

Thank you for your question.  I understand that you would like to plump the under eye area, but Botox is not used for to add volume.  Dermal fillers can be injected to add some volume to concern areas after you consult with a  certified and experienced professional.  Hope this helps and wishing you the best.

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Botox for under eyes

Chase Lay, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Lower eye hollowing

I strongly recommend that you do not have botox injected into this area.  Botox specifically works on the muscles that move and cause wrinkling when they do.  Botox paralyzes these muscle to prevent the wrinkled appearance.  Botox does not plump tissue in any way nor will it have any effect on discoloration or venous appearance.

Instead, if you are really interested in treating this area, you should see a plastic surgeon who can discuss dermal fillers to plump this area thereby reducing the dark appearance.

Finally, I do not recommend any procedure done just prior to your wedding.  you want a chance to evaluate the effects without the stress of looking good for your big day!

Laurie Larsen, MD
Portland Physician

Lower eye hollowing

Laurie Larsen, MD
Portland Physician

Fillers, not Botox for correction of undereye hollows and dark circles

Thanks for sharing your question and photos and congratulations on the upcoming wedding! Dark circles and undereye hollows, which appear to be your cosmetic concern, are treated using fillers such as Restylane and not Botox. I prefer to inject the delicate undereye area using a microcannula technique to minimize bruising and swelling. Undereye filler injection requires advanced injection skill and so I recommend you see someone who has a good amount of experience treating this area of the face. I also recommend you have it done 3-4 weeks before your wedding to give yourself time to heal were you to bruise or swell from the treatment. Good luck!

Botox

Hello and thank you for your photo and question. Botox is not the product you need to address your concerns. You are wanting to add volume to the under eye area to plump the depressed area, so you will need a dermal filler which may improve some of the dark pigment. To truly get correction for the dark circles, brightening products will be needed such as ZO Medical Hydrafirm. 

With any aging or skin concerns there is not a one time treatment. It is recommended to use the appropriate medical grade skin care at home daily that addresses your concerns, fillers are used to add volume and sculpt, and botox is used to relax muscles for wrinkles and lines. When the aging process starts the concerns will worsen if not being treated.  

Best to you,

Botox

Best to you,

Botox vs Fillers

Congratulations on your upcoming wedding!  Botox is a neuromodulator - it reduces the appearance of facial expression lines by temporarily paralyzing overactive muscle groups responsible for the wrinkles.  While Botox can be used to reduce expression lines under the eyes in very carefully selected patients, it does not plump the skin, add volume, lighten dark circles, or reduce the appearance of blue veins.  While I can't make exact recommendations without assessing you in-person, you would likely benefit most from dermal fillers like Restylane or Vollure in the tear troughs.  This will help reduce volume loss and shadowling under your eyes, and even out the contour between your lower eyelids and cheeks.  You may also consider a combination of good sun protection, prescription-strength skincare products, chemical peels, and PRP injections to reduce pigment around the eyes as well.  

The tear troughs and under eyes are a particularly complex area to inject, and really should only be treated by experienced cosmetic dermatologists and plastic surgeons.  I would also recommend against any cosmetic injections in the 3-4 weeks immediately before your wedding to reduce the risk of any swelling or bruising.  Best of luck! 

Faiyaaz Kalimullah, MD, FAAD
Chicago Dermatologic Surgeon

Botox vs Fillers

Faiyaaz Kalimullah, MD, FAAD
Chicago Dermatologic Surgeon

Treatments for under the eyes

Thank you for your question CSF108. Botox is a purified protein used to address wrinkles associated with facial expression. Fillers such as Restylane and Volbella are used to restore lost volume in areas suc has under the eyes. Please consult with a doctor for specific recommendations. Good luck!

Treatments for under the eyes