What is the average cost of implant removal with reduction or lift? Other options?

I had a lift with under the muscle silicone implants in june 2015. I am now DDD and have a lot of shoulder and neck pain and would like to have my implants removed. I wouldn't mind also having some natural tissue removed to make my breasts closer to a C or so. Will I need a lift separately? How much on average should this be? I got a quote for $7,300 for removal w/ lift. That's really close to what I paid for the implants with lift last year. I didn't expect it to be so high.

Cost of implant removal and lift

The price you were quoted does not seem unrealistic for your region of the country. From your story it appears you may very well need a lift of some sort to achieve the best shape and appearance. One option to discuss with your surgeon is whether a staged procedure is possible. First, just remove the implants and then wait and see whether you truly need a lift. You may be pleasantly surprised and find you are happy with the shape without a lift or perhaps will only need a small lift that might be able to be performed safely in an office setting. Those two options might prove less expensive than a combined removal and lift. Good luck

Dr C

Costs depend on multitude of factors including surgeon' fee, anesthesia cost, operating room fees, and staff costs. Quality work requires a well experienced team.

Stuart A. Linder, MD, FACS

Thank you for your question.When it comes to cost of surgery, there may be many “variables” involved. The specific surgeon's credentials/experience level (or lack thereof), the specific geographic area you are looking at, the different operations available, the location of the procedure ( quality of surgery facility), type/quality of anesthesia provider, type of breast implants… are some of the potential variables involved. You will find average costs of surgery listed on this website, and on individual plastic surgeon's websites as well In regards to outcome of the planned procedure, more important than costs of the procedures will be careful selection of your plastic surgeon. I would suggest starting with the American Society of Plastic Surgery and/or the Aesthetic Society of Plastic Surgery to obtain a list of well experienced board-certified plastic surgeons. Then, I would suggest you visit a few surgeons whose practices concentrate on aesthetic surgery.  ***Ask to see lots of examples of their work and preferably speak/see patients who have had similar procedures done. Be very careful with your decision-making. You will find, while doing your due diligence, that there are many different “specialties” who will offer their services to you; again, I strongly recommend you concentrate on surgeons certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery. I would also suggest that you do not base your selection of plastic surgeon primarily on costs of surgery; keep in mind that revisionary surgery may be more costly in many ways. Best wishes.

Surgeon's cost vary depending on experience ( or lack of), procedure, and the location of the practice.

Robert E. Zaworski, MD

The costs will depend upon what specifically is done and where. You could consider exchanging your implants for something smaller, or removal and a fat transfer. Either way, you may need a lift. I would suggest meeting with a board certified plastic surgeon and discussing all your options.

Connie Hiers, MD
San Antonio Plastic Surgeon