Asymmetrical deflated breasts, will lifting one breast be sufficient to get them symmetrical? (photos)

I am a C cup and would like to be a natural looking DD. I consulted with 3 PS & 2 recommended lifting the right breast only (Circumareolar Lift) to avoid scarring (picture), no lift on the left & implants on both sides. The 3rd doc recommended an anchor lift on both w/implants. My concern is that a circumareolar lift may not be sufficient to lift my right breast and get them symmetrical. Should both breast be lifted or will a lift on the left suffice? Will scars be an issue? Any other options?

Implants and lift candidate, some advices:

Thank you very much for enquire.
After having analyzed all the information and photos provided to us, I realize that you have very sagging and small breasts. In this regard, you need volume (implants) and projection (the lift): Breast Augmentation w/Breast Lift.
I recommend you to use microtexturized highly cohesive silicon implant ("gummy bear" implants), with high projection, and 400-500ml will be excelent on you, to fill the breasts properly.
Finally, to perform the breast lift I recommend a Periareolar Round Block Breast Lift ("Benelli mastopexy"), which has an unnoticed scar around the areola, and if we see (in the surgery) that we can't obtain adecuate projection just with the Benelli Lift, we have to perform a "Lollipop breast lift".
Respectfully,
Dr. Emmanuel Mallol Cotes.-

Asymmetrical breast surgery.

Thank you for your question and photos.  I would recommend bilateral lift and implants to achieve a symmetrical result. One side may need more of a lift but both sides will need to be adjusted in order to be symmetrical after surgery.  An implant alone will not generate symmetry.  Always seek the expertise of a board certified plastic surgeon who specializes in breast surgery.  Good luck.

David J. Wages, MD
Peabody Plastic Surgeon

Options for breast lift

Thanks for sharing your photos. I see the asymmetry that you're concerned about. I would add another possible option, which would be Implants and a lift on both sides. Your left side doesn't need to be lifted much, but the reshaping part of the lift, plus the idea of doing a similar operation on both sides, may give you a better shot at good symmetry.  I generally recommend a vertical (lollipop) lift in a case like yours because i think it does a better job of reshaping the breast with better scarring than the donut type lift.

I hope that helps-

Best wishes-

Susan MacLennan, MD
Banff Plastic Surgeon

10 plastic surgeons and 10 different answers

I have always said if you want 10 different answers, just ask 10 different plastic surgeons!  There is never a "right answer" when talking about breast implant procedures.  You have done the right approach by talking with several different plastic surgeons, now you need to decide which surgeon you feel the most comfortable with and what approach you can live with (scars, implant size and style, location of implant, cost, recovery, etc).

Good Luck!

David Finkle, MD
Omaha Plastic Surgeon

Best breast operation for me?

Thank you for the question and pictures. Based on your photographs, I think that you will likely benefit from breast lifting on both sides.  I would share your concerns that a circumareolar breast lift may not be "powerful" enough to adequately lift the lower breast.

Generally speaking, patients undergoing the breast augmentation/lifting combination operation should understand that it is significantly more complex than breast augmentation surgery only and that it is associated with will a significantly higher risk of complications and need for additional surgery.  Again, it will be important that you educate yourself regarding the pros/cons/risks/complications associated with breast augmentation/lifting surgery.

Remember, that during breast lifting surgery, some skin is removed, thereby limiting the "space" available for breast implants. On the one hand, breast augmentation surgery is expanding the breast skin “envelope” while breast lifting is (by definition) tightening up the breast skin envelope. These 2 forces are counteracting each other. Therefore, it becomes important to remove the appropriate amount of breast skin and to use the appropriate size/profile of breast implants to balance these 2 forces appropriately and to allow for achievement of the patient's goals while minimizing risks of complications. 

Generally speaking, the best online advice I can give to ladies who are considering breast augmentation/lifting surgery ( regarding breast implant size/profile selection) is:

1. Concentrate on choosing your plastic surgeon carefully. Concentrate on appropriate training, certification, and the ability of the plastic surgeon to achieve the results you are looking for. ***Ask to see lots of examples of his/her work.

2. Have a full discussion and communication regarding your desired goals with your plastic surgeon. This communication will be critical in determining breast implant size/type/profile will most likely help achieve your goals. 

In my practice, the use of photographs of “goal” pictures (and breasts that are too big or too small) is very helpful. For example, I have found that the use of words such as “natural looking” or "DD cup" etc means different things to different people and therefore prove unhelpful.

Also, as you know, cup size varies depending on him who makes the bra; therefore, discussing desired cup size may also be inaccurate. Again, the use of computer imaging has been very helpful during the communication process, in our practice.

3. Once you feel you have communicated your goals clearly, allow your plastic surgeon to use his/her years of experience/judgment to choose the breast implant size/profile that will best meet your goals. Again, in my practice, this decision is usually made during surgery, after the use of temporary intraoperative sizers.

I hope this (and the attached link, dedicated to breast augmentation/lifting surgery concerns) helps. Best wishes for an outcome that you will be very pleased with.

Lift with or without implants

Hello, If you want to have larger breasts (from a C to DD cup) it is not clear why a surgeon recommended simply lifting one areola, because this will not increase your breast size.  In situations of asymmetry and lower nipples I usually preform bilateral lift plus implants.  It sounds like you have already taken steps to seek consultations in person, and these surgeons will be able to do a proper assessment then provide more valuable advice.

William Andrade, MD

Breast aug with a lift

You would benefit from an augmentation with a lift around your areola.  Do the same thing on both sides.  This will give you symmetry and a lift of your areola and nipple complex. Both need to be lifted and both need to be augmented.   You will do well but be sure to go to a board certified plastic surgeon. Good luck.

Andrew T. Cohen, MD