Which would you recommend; 375 or 475 ccs?

Hi I am currently 5"4 140 lbs and have had and nursed two children so I have lost all volume I wear a 34b bra size now I want to become a large c or d size which size would be better 375 or 475 ccs

Larger implant

Without seeing you this is only a guess, but it is likely that you will achieve your goal with a 475 cc implant.  The amount of volume depends on goals and starting points. 

Breast size with implants

Thank you for your question. It is difficult to suggest sizing without examining your breasts (as no breasts are exactly the same) and evaluating breast measurements. Good luck!

Kiran Polavarapu, MD
Fort Worth Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation/Consultation

Thank you for your questions. It is best to see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon who can in person examine you, take key measurements and go over with you your specific aesthetic goals. My consultation is done at no charge, and is meant to help you start getting the best result. Also included is a review and discussion about the need for a breast lift, incision location, implant placement, size and shape and material of the implants as there are several key differences and some similarities in the types and shapes of breast implants. It is best to see and feel in person the different sizes, shapes and textures of the various implants during a consultation with a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.

Benjamin J. Cousins M.D.

Benjamin J. Cousins, MD
Miami Beach Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question.  It's hard to tell without photos and an in-person consultation.  In my practice, I first make measurements of the breast dimensions to help narrow the range of acceptable implants to consider.  My patients then try on different implant sizers in a simple bra while wearing a tight t-shirt to get a better idea of the look that they prefer.  Try not to focus so much on bra size or specific implant volume but more on the look that you want.  Also, providing "wish" photos of breasts that you like can be very helpful in communicating your goals.  Be sure to consult with an experienced plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery.  Good luck!

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Implant Recommendations

Thank you very much for your question.

Unfortunately, without an in-person exam to carefully measure your breast dimensions, it is difficult to make any size recommendations.  I would visit with a plastic surgeon who can make a recommendation to you based on your goals, and possibly has computer simulation capabilities (we have the Vectra at our office) to help you visualize your postoperative result.  Best of luck!

Daniel Krochmal, MD
Chicago General Surgeon

Breast Augmentation: Information

Dear Ms. Kk81549,

Thank you for your story and questions. 

Nothing substitutes for a personal evaluation and a face to face discussion of your options. Unfortunately without photos, a examination and measurements I can advise you in general terms, however I hope you will find them helpful.

I personally believe that It is important for prospective breast augmentation patients to understand what determines the appropriate implant size, filler material , shape and implant location. The final decision(s) is a personal choice guided by the experience of your Plastic Surgeon.

Your SPECFIC breast anatomy will dictate many of your choices. The breast foot print/base width on your chest will influence implant selection. Disregarding these measured dimensions will often lead to a more visable/conspicuous implant appearance.

As far as size you know all bras are not equal in "cup size" measurements.
"Cup size"is a very crude and non standardized measurement and varies by bra manufacturers. Thus actual cup size you eventually are measured at is not as important as your body proportions as it relates to your desired breast size
My specific responses are:
A)Realizing there are no standard bra (strap/cup) sizes, purchase several bras (full bodied and no padding) of the strap and cup size you think you want to be.
B)take a measuring cup (1 oz=30cc) place rice in a nylon. Therefore 10 oz. = 300cc...
C) try on various volumes of rice with some form fitting clothes.
D)if implant is placed under the pectoralis muscle I usually add 10% volume to what the patient chooses.... To compensate for the muscle pressing down on the muscle and for
the naturally settleing of the implant which often makes the breast appear smaller 2-3 months after surgery.

2) profile of implant:
A) for the same volume the higher the profile the narrower the base width.
B)there is very little difference in projection between a moderate to high profile implant
thus little affect on how the actual nipple will look.
C) the base width of the breast should equal the base width of the implant
D)thus I personally chose the profile based on the patients chest measurements,
(a high profile on a wide chest may not result in the cleavage desired and
conversely a low profile on a narrow chest may result in implant in the outside arm
E)Cleavage is largely determined by your anatomy. This can be optimized by choosing the best profile implant and postoperative implant displacement excercises towards the midline of your chest.

3)Shape of the implant:
A) for the vast majority of cosmetic patients I recommend round implants
B) reconstructive patients shaped/form stable implants are often used
4)Placement decision of implant placement will be determined based on your anatomy, you current breast tissue, and your long term goals and benefits.
The four positions are:
A) Subpectoral which is completely under the muscle.
B) Supra pectoral which is above the muscle but under the breast.
C) Subfascial which is under the fibrous layer that covers the muscle.
D) Dual plane which is partially under the muscle and partially under the breast.

Placing the implant in the subpectoral or dual plane position I believe in general has significant benefits:
A) coverage of implant with muscle resulting in less palpability of implant (except in lower outer quadrant where ther is no muscle coverage)
B) less long term internal scar formation(capsular contracture).

5)Filler Material
A) silicone gel feels more like breast tissue, less potential rippling, comes prefilled cannot adjust size intraoperatively and larger incisions to place compared to equal sized (non prefilled) normal saline implants.
B) normal saline implants can be adjusted in size intraoperatively, if ruptures normal saline absorbs, potential increase rippling compared to silicone gel, smaller incision to place normal saline implants as compared to prefilled silicone gel implants.

I suggest you collect several nude model photos of the goal breast shape you desire and schedule several consultative appointments with Plastic Surgeons who are experienced and is Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally members of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (denoting by membership as having met additional criteria and a focus on Cosmetic Plastic Surgery).

My best wishes,

R. A. Hardesty, MD, FACS
Diplomate and Certified by the Am. Bd. of Plastic Surgery
4646 Brockton Ave
Riverside, Ca 92506
(951) 686-7600

375 or 475 ccs?

Hi KK   thanks for your question, The two sizes are well within the average for your BMI. It's a personal choice one is just a little more showy

Max Gouverne, MD
Corpus Christi Plastic Surgeon

The right size for you

It is very difficult to determine the exact size and shape implant you will require to best match your ideal breast image without an examination by a board certified plastic surgeon. Not just any board certified plastic surgeon, but one with many years of frequently performing breast augmentation surgery including different approaches, techniques and implant choices. This is because several measurements not to mention your breast characteristics are needed to determine the optimal implant size to obtain your goals. Without knowing these dimensions it would be difficult to make this determination. For example, the existing base width of your breast will determine, in many cases, the maximal volume per implant profile that you can accommodate. To illustrate; a 100 cc difference may make a significant difference with a narrow base width breast, but much less of a difference if you have a wide chest wall and wide breast “foot print”. Therefore, just because your friend may have a great result with let’s say a 350 cc implant to make her go from a “A” cup to a “C” cup size does not mean that you will have the same result with the same size implant. . Further simply placing implants in a bra to determine the size best for you is not always accurate as the bra often distorts the size, is dependent on the pressure the bra places plus the implant is outside your breast and not under it among other variables. Computer software morphing programs that automatically determine the best implant size can be helpful in some but not all cases (e.g. doesn’t work well in my experience with existing implants, sagging or asymmetric breasts). Using “want to be” photos however are useful if simply provided to the surgeon as I will further explain in the below link.

Hello! Thank you for your question. In general, implant size does not correlate with bra cup size. The cup size itself will vary from manufacturer to manufacturer as well as who is doing the actual measurements. Thus, cup size is never a reliable indicator for your breast size. I typically encourage my patients not to communicate her desires in cup size but more on the actual look and appearance.

Good communication between you and your surgeon of your expectations is warranted - choosing your surgeon wisely is the first step. Discussion of your wishes and having an honest and open dialog of your procedure is mandatory (e.g, implant type, incision, placement, lift, etc). I have found that photographs brought by the patient is helpful to get a visualization of the appearance you wish for in terms of size, shape, fullness, etc. A preopertive sizing kit is helpful in my practice. In addition, your surgeon's pre and postoperative photographs should demonstrate a realistic goal for you. Once this has been accomplished, allow your surgeon to utilize his/her best medical judgment during the procedure to finesse the best possible result for you after preoperative biodimensional planning and fitting the right implant for your breast width.

Hope that this helps! Best wishes for a wonderful result!

Lewis Albert Andres, MD

Hi and thanks for your question. This is quite a difference in implant size. You should see your plastic surgeon to discuss this issue as this is the only person who has examined you. Best of luck!

Richard Chaffoo, MD, FACS,FICS
Triole Board Certified Plastic Surgeon

Richard Chaffoo, MD, FACS