18 hour car ride 2 days post breast augmentation.

My husband and I have to go home 2 days after my breast augmentation surgery. His father is not doing well health wise. Will it be ok for me to be in the car for 18 hours 2 days post op? I obviously will not be driving.

Long Car Ride After Surgery

Dear mwallace7781,

If the surgery goes uneventfully and there is no unusual bleeding at surgery, a 48-hour delay before a long car ride should be satisfactory. Most bleeds are going to happen in the first 48 hours. That being said, you should keep yourself well hydrated and take frequent stops to walk so that you as well as the other passenger in the car do not develop a blood clot in the legs.

I hope your father in law does well.

Robert D. Wilcox, MD

I would not be comfortable with allowing my patient to have that long car ride. Sometimes things happen over which you have no control and require rescheduling surgery. It is hard to imagine any good and caring surgeon would penalize you financially for that. I'm sure, if you reschedule, your surgeon will let you apply your deposit to another day under these circumstances. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Breast augmentation and then 18 hour drive

Thanks for your inquiry, and simply if you were my patient I would tell you to postpone surgery. That is way too long a car ride, please update your surgeon and sorry to hear about your father-in-law's health concern. 

Family illness, travel, and surgery

I'm sorry to hear about the illness in your family.  I have been in very similar situations where I have cancelled the surgery and told my patient it is best to reschedule.  She was initially quite unhappy with me, but after a week or so of being with her family, thanked me extensively for advising her to do the right thing.  The issues are not only the travel, but the stress that a family illness can provide on you and those around you, which can create a less than perfect environment for your postoperative course.  The drive that you are talking about is only one of these aspects.  I recommend that you discuss this with your surgeon, but if you were my patient we would be rescheduling your surgery.  I wish you the best for your family and your surgical plans.

Dr. L

Travel after augment

I am the conservative voice on RealSelf. Personally, I would not want my patient to be traveling two days after surgery to a location 18 hours away from followup care. Given your father in law's illness, perhaps you can inquire as you whether the surgery could be postponed or if you can return home after your sutures are removed.

Road trip postop

As long as you stop frequently and walk around and continue to hydrate well you should be fine.  Good luck,  Jane

Thank you for your question.  As others as stated your plastic surgeon is the best person to advise you on this.  I expect that she will still have discomfort and need narcotic medications at 2 days.  However if your breast augmentation goes smoothly and your surgeon agrees then an 18 hour trip should be possible.

Provided that there are no concerns from your plastic surgeon, there should be no concern for you to travel a long distance in the car. Ensure that you are following post op care from your PS. 

Mahmood Kara, MD

Long car ride after a breast augmentation

Sorry to hear about your father-in-law. It's always best to check with your surgeon about his or her protocol. I have had a patient drive home 2 days after breast augmentation from Philadelphia to Michigan with no problem whatsoever. Hope this information is helpful. Good luck to you. For more information on this and similar topics, I recommend a plastic surgery Q&A like "The Scoop On Breasts: A Plastic Surgeon Busts the Myths."

Ted Eisenberg, DO, FACOS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

P

You should be fine to go home 2 days post surgery as long as you've cleared it with your doctor. I would recommend a few stops along the way to get out of the car to move around a bit & stretch. You could also bring a pillow to help with finding a comfortable position for the ride.

Thanks so much for your question. 

John Allan Ness, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon