DO I only need a breast lift or a breast reduction/lift? (photos)

I am 32, have had 3 kids. I'm 5'6'' 130lbs and wear a 32DDD bra..I have always had alot of tension in my neck an shoulder and recently after my third child I have severe neck pain. I have no idea if its my breast or not. I would like a lift but wonder if I really could use a reduction/lift. I am a very small frame but have always had a tummy. I am hoping to have insurance help with a reduction but when I look at my breasts I wonder if I could really benefit more from a reduction than just a lift.

DO I only need a breast lift or a breast reduction/lift?

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well..
The breasts may lose their elasticity and firmness which can be caused by different factors such as pregnancy, massive weight loss, lactation and aging. To reaffirm the breasts and restore the natural look your surgeon can perform a mastopexy or breast lift. A breast lift restores a firmer, perkier, and more aesthetically pleasing shape to sagging breasts. This not only can improve a patient’s appearance by restoring her youthful, feminine proportions, but  also help bras and swimsuits fit more comfortably and attractively. By removing excess, stretched out skin, reshaping the breast tissue, and raising the nipple & areola into a more forward position, a cosmetic surgeon can create a more youthful breast contour. Stretched, large areolae can also be reduced during breast lift surgery, creating an overall better proportioned, natural looking breast, Actually the perkiness on a person or another, depends on patients skin and breast tissue, hugs!

Reduction or lift?

Thank you for your question and photos.  It is likely that you would benefit most from a breast reduction, which would lift your breasts as well as reduce their volume.  To determine if this would be both best and realistic for you though, you will need to be evaluated in person by a board-certified plastic surgeon.

Dr. Results
Miami, FL

Breast Lift vs Reduction

A breast lift or a breast reduction would improve the aesthetic appearance of your breasts.  The question that needs to be answered is whether or not you want a much smaller breast.  A breast reduction would hopefully alleviate you neck and shoulder tension/pain but will leave you with a smaller breast.  A lift would reshape and reposition your breast but would likely not improve your neck and shoulder discomfort.  Insurance companies will generally cover a reduction if symptoms are present but will require a certain weight of tissue to be removed.  My best advice is to seek guidance from a plastic surgeon in your area that will help explain the benefits/risks of each procedure.  Good luck!

For more information on breast lift, please visit the link below.

W. Bryant Walker, MD
Jackson Physician

Breast lift - but a reduction as well?

Thank you for asking about your breast lift and breast reduction.

• It seems likely that you need a breast lift with a breast reduction as well.
  • An examination is needed - and then a request to your insurance for pre-approval of surgery.
  • A DDD size is very large, especially for a woman your size and it should help your neck pain.
  • Check first with your insurance to see what criteria they set - e.g. 6 months of chiropractic care, etc. - to be sure you have done what is needed to be approved for surgery
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

DO I only need a breast lift or a breast reduction/lift? (

If you desire smaller perkier breasts- then a reduction can be indicated. It will lift your breasts at the same time as well as reduce the size of your areolae. Best to seek in person consultation with an experienced Board Certified PS

How to decide is a breast lift or a breast reduction is best for you

If you are happy with the size of your breasts when you are wearing a bra, then a lift is all you need. Likewise, if you feel that your breasts look too big when you're wearing a bra, then a reduction would be appropriate. You wouldn't need a reduction AND a lift; breast reduction surgery not only reduces the size of the breasts but also lifts and reshapes them.  

I suggest that you look at before and after photos of women similar to you - those who had a lift only and those who had a reduction. You can see some photos at the link that's attached. Either way, if your surgeon recommends an anchor lift, ask if he or she uses the I.D.E.A.L. Breast Lift approach to maximize the lift. For more information on this and similar topics, I recommend a plastic surgery Q&A book like "The Scoop On Breasts: A Plastic Surgeon Busts the Myths."

Ted Eisenberg, DO, FACOS
Philadelphia Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question.  A breast reduction will alleviate some of the tension on your neck and shoulders.  At the same time, it's probably a good idea to get your neck checked out.  Be sure to consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck!

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

It depends on your goals for the procedure.  If you want to be smaller, and potentially improve the neck pain, then you would need some reduction.  A lift alone would preserve almost all the breast tissue, but would have no potential to decrease the weight on your neck and the associated pain.  The best choice for you is a complicated one and would need to take more information into consideration.  This is best done through consultation with a plastic surgeon.

Michel C. Samson, MD
Daytona Beach Plastic Surgeon

Lift with small reduction is probably best for you

Thanks for your question and the photos. Given your symptoms and the size/shape of your breasts I think you will be best off with a lift to resuspend the breast. Removing a small amount of tissue will be helpful to reduce the weight, but it is mainly  the resuspension that will reduce the tension on your neck. The amount of resection might only be 100-200gm (at most) and so it's unlikely that insurance will find this medically necessary. That does not mean it won't help, it just means they likely won't want to pay for it. Find a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon in your area that is an ASAPS member and specializes in cosmetic breast surgery. The Smart Beauty Guide is a great resource. Best of Luck!

M. Scott Haydon, MD

Thank you for submitting your question and photos.  I am sorry your experiencing neck and shoulder pain.  A breast reduction will alleviate some of the pain and discomfort you are experiencing.   A breast reduction can be covered by insurance.  Consult with a baord certified plastic surgeon.  Best wishes.