Hard scar tissue making a dent - 6 wks post op BA (Photo)

I have a large dent in the lower portion of my left breast 6 weeks after BA. I had quite a bit of bruising on both sides. It feels hard, like scar tissue. The dent seems to be getting worse. Any advice is appreciated. My next follow up is in 2 wks. If I should go sooner, please let me know. I've also included a photo from day 2 post op.

Breast Augmentation

Hello and thank you for your question. Physical examination would be the best way to determine what is causing the dent. Based on the pictures you have submitted, if the breast crease was lowered significantly this could be the native breast crease causing an indentation. I would suggest speaking to your surgeon regarding how the augmentation was performed.  

Best wishes 

Charlotte Physician

Hard scar tissue making a dent - 6 wks post op BA

Thank you for your question.   The right breast implant appears lower than the left side which raises the question whether the implant is below the inframammary crease and the dentures caused by breast tissue riding above the implant similar to a double bubble.  The other possibility is a simple scar contracture due to the trans-areolar incision.  I suggest she see your plastic surgeon for an examination soon.

Scar-dent?

Thanks for your question. I see the scar-dent, but I do not know the cause just by looking at your photos. I suggest you speak with your plastic surgeon sooner as opposed to later for an appropriate diagnosis. It might be related to your incisions at the nipple. Perhaps posting before photos might be helpful. Best, Dr. ALDO

Aldo Guerra, MD

Thank you for your question. Remember, it is best to be seen in person by a double-board-certified plastic surgeon for precise diagnosis and treatment.

Moneer Jaibaji, MD

Har Scar Tissue and Dent at 6 Weeks Post-Op

HEALING AFTER BREAST SURGERY, AUGMENTATION, LIFTS

1.    pain is variable

2.    it takes 2-3 months for implants to settle and muscles to relax

3.    celebrex, motrin, and muscle relaxers can help

4.    massage and stretching may help

5.    everyone heals differently

6.    4-7 days off from work is common

HEALING OF SENSORY NERVES: Tingling, burning or shooting pains, which will disappear with time and should not alarm you, indicate regeneration of the sensory nerves. If these sensations cause pain, repeated, local self-massage helps.

ASYMMETRY: The two breasts commonly heal quite differently. One breast may swell more, feel more uncomfortable, or have a different initial shape. After complete healing, they will be more similar and natural. You must have patience, but if this causes concern, ask questions of the doctor or the nursing staff.

SHAPE AND CONTOUR: The final shape of your breasts will start to look its best approximately three (3) months after surgery. It takes time for the skin and muscle to stretch and relax around the new implant. The breast will often look higher, firmer, and “less natural” in the first three (3) months. It can take up to a year to see your final result.

FOLLOW-UP EXAMS: These are generally done in 1 week, 2 to 3 weeks, 3 to 6 weeks, 3 months, 6 months to 1 year, and 1-2 year intervals. In our office we include all of your follow up appointments in the initial surgical fee.

Contour irregularity after breast augmentation

From your images I would guess that your fold was lowered during your surgery to accommodate your implant. The indention likely represents attachments from the skin to the previous fold. This may require additional surgery in the form of releasing the connections or simply fat grafting over the area. Either way, I would wait a full 6 months to a year prior to undertaking any further procedures for this as the weight of the implant will likely soften the area with no further intervention. The impression that the are is actually worsening is likely due to it being more apparent as surrounding swelling resolves. 

Joseph Parks, MD
Jacksonville Plastic Surgeon