I'm about 215 and looking to get the Mommy Makeover, what is the estimated about of lbs needed to lose before surgery?

Should you lose weight?

Obviously a more desirable weight is preferable and desirable for the patient and surgeon alike. However a stable weight is one of the most important things you can do prior to surgery. In other words losing weight prior to surgery then gaining back afterwards is counterproductive. If you are within about 20 pounds or less of your usual weight then it should not make that much difference.

Weight loss for surgery

For your safety and for good surgical results it is best to get as close to your ideal body weight as possible.  You can use BMI, or Body Mass Index, to help you calculate that.  This chart is found easily on the internet and uses your weight and height to determine a healthy weight for you.  I would encourage a healthy lifestyle which includes regular exercise and a proper balanced diet.  Best wishes!

Camille Cash, MD

Dr Derby

I would try to strive to at least a BMI of Max 34 and a healthy life style. Try to lose as much weight as possible before surgery. Best of luck

Derby Sang Caputo, MD

What is the estimated about of lbs needed to lose before surgery?

Thank you for the question. Generally speaking, it is always best to achieve long-term stable weight prior to proceeding with body contouring surgery. Doing so, will increase the safety of the operation, will likely improve the outcome of the operation, and will decrease chances that additional surgery will become necessary subsequently. In my practice, I do not ask specific patients to achieve a specific weight prior to proceeding with tummy tuck surgery. I simply ask patients to achieve a long-term stable weight where he/she feels comfortable and does not expect significant fluctuation postoperatively. As you know, recruiting other professionals such as personal trainers, nutritionists, physicians who specialize in weight loss concerns etc. may be helpful to you. Having said the above, occasional patients do benefit from panniculectomy surgery as a “jumpstart” to achieving their final goals. You may find the attached link, dedicated to patients who have experienced significant weight loss, helpful to you as you consider your options. Best wishes.

Mommy make-over ...how much should I weigh?

Thank you for asking about your mommy make-over.

• Great question -
  • The best guide is your BMI - body mass index.
  • Your BMI ideally would be 30 or lower - although at time surgery is fine at a BMI of 35.
  • As an example - if you are 5 feet 6 inches tall, your BMI is 34.7 - it would be good to lose 15 - 20 pounds.
  • Go on-line, search 'calculate BMI" and enter your height and weight.
  • Enter different weights until you find the weight that will give you a BMI close to 30.
  • When you are near the right weight, see a plastic surgeon to plan your surgery!
  • Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Best wishes - Elizabeth Morgan MD PHD FACS

Elizabeth Morgan, MD, PhD

Mommy Makeover Weight Loss

The results from you mommy makeover surgery with stand the test of time if you bring your weight to a realistic level and maintain that weight for 6 months before surgery.  The specific guidelines for weight loss depend on your height, body shape, and personal aesthetics.  That said, one common recommendation is for the BMI to be less that 30.  Equally important is that you bring the weight to a level that can be realistically maintained.  Visit a board certified plastic surgeon and come up with a treatment plan.  Just having the plan can be a wonderful motivator to change your habits.  Best of Luck!

John Q. Cook, MD

For reasons of safety we require a patient below a BMI of 35, but to have a chance of good results you need a BMI less than 30 and to really get a great result the BMI should be closer to 25. 

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

Mommy Makeover/Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Liposuction/Tummy Tuck/ Brazilian Butt Lift/High Definition Procedures

I appreciate your question.

For health and safety reasons, best to be at a BMI less than 30 or within 10 pounds of your goal weight and stable at that weight for 6 months prior to surgery for optimal results.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz
Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute
#RealSelf100Surgeon

Jaime S. Schwartz, MD, FACS

Weight loss and TT

Thank you for your question. Your photos would be most helpful to us in giving you better advice. I'm not sure there is one certain number here, as it really depends on your overall figure. It also depends on your goals. If you lose 10-15lbs, it might allow for some additional skin to be removed from your abdomen. You generally have to have 30+ lbs of loss to see a lot of change in the breast area. I hope that helps a little. Best wishes.

Paul J. Leahy, MD
Leawood Plastic Surgeon

Near ideal weight

Its best to be near your ideal weight you can maintain with diet and exercise.  The skin can be maximally tightened at that point and will stay tight.  If patients lose weight after, the skin can loosen up and may need to be tightened again.

Christopher J. Kovanda, MD
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon