I got Juvederm last Wednesday. My doctor told me one thing, but all the doctors on here say otherwise!

My doctor told me that my lips might get lumpy in some places and that it is normal, and NOT to massage them because they are still healing. I'm seeing on here that doctors are saying to massage it gently. They don't hurt and not very visible unless I smile. My concern is that they feel the same as yesterday and not going down at all. I'm trying to be patient but i want these lumps to go away!

Massage after filler in lips

I usually gently press on the lips between my fingers after using a lip filler to try to even out the distribution. I tell the patient to do the same thing a few times over the next 24 hours for the same reason. Firmly "massaging" the lips after use of a filler is not a good idea and could push the filler around and away from when it is intended to be. 

Thank you for the very good question.

Juvederm

It is normal to experience some selling and bumpiness following the injection of a filler like Juvederm.  If you are concerned about the way you look, I would suggest discussing this with your doctor.  As a side note, I also do not recommend massage following Juvederm injections to the lip.

Lip Filler and Swelling

Swelling after treatment with dermal fillers is common. If the swelling continues after the next few weeks see your doctor. Hyaluronidase can dissolve the product used during your treatment if desired. Thank you for your question.

David W. Kim, MD
Bay Area Facial Plastic Surgeon

Juvederm and Lip Fillers

Lumps and swelling can happen from fillers.  If you are concerned you should definitely return to your treating physician for examination.  Best, Dr. Green

Lip Swelling After Fillers Such as Juvederm or Restylane -- Reverse With Hyaluronidase

It's common to get swelling after fillers. i suggest you trust your physician and if unhappy after a few weeks reverse the filler.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Lumps after Juvederm

Usually a little bit of gentle massage can help smooth out any mild lumpiness after filler injections.  Massage probably works better early on better the filler has fully set.  I would say that temporary mild lumpiness is common after filler injections but overall my patients don't report problems with lumps very often.  Injection technique is important to give as smooth a result as possible.  If the problem persists, be sure to follow up with your injector.  
Regards,
Dr. Ort

Richard Ort, MD
Lone Tree Dermatologic Surgeon

Final Result After Juvederm

Thank you for your question and sorry to hear that you are having some concerns about your postprocedure appearance.  In general, after Juvederm injection, there is an immediate result, which you will see right away, and a final result, which you will see 2 weeks postprocedure.  It is normal to feel some fullness after the procedure and to experience some bruising and swelling, especially in the lips.  Typically, any swelling, bruising and unwanted fullness resolves by 2 weeks postprocedure, allowing for the appearance of your final result.  Gentle massage can help to resolve any unwanted fullness.  I would advise you to check with your injector for clarification.  It is always easier to massage out any unwanted fullness sooner rather than later.  Best wishes!

Juvederm lumps

If you have some small irregularities then some gentle massage will help. If you have a firm lump this may actually be a deep hematoma and massage is not going to help that - it will slowly resolve.  That is why we tell you 2 weeks for things to even out.   

John J. Martin, Jr., MD
Coral Gables Oculoplastic Surgeon

Lumps after Juvederm...

Thank you for your question.  We always request that our patients massage out any lumps that they may feel, however you should follow the advice of your doctor as they may have reasons for asking you not to massage.  If you are unsure you can call and ask the doctor their reasoning.  Regards, Dr. Matt Elias

Matthew Elias, DO, FAAD
Fort Lauderdale Dermatologic Surgeon

Swell

Hello, and thanks for your question.

Post-filler swelling can take 1-2 weeks to fully subside, so it may be early to assess your final result. If you are not pleased with your final result, the product can be dissolved with injection of an enzyme called hyaluronidase. To maximize the likelihood of a favorable outcome, I recommend that you only get treated by a well-trained and experienced dermatologist or plastic surgeon.  

Hope this opinion is helpful to you. Best of luck, Dr. Frucht.   

Corey Frucht, MD, PhD
Santa Barbara Dermatologic Surgeon