Can Tummy tuck and hernia repair be done together?

Hello I am considering having hernia repair and tummy tuck done. Can this be done together and do most surgeons and insurance require 1 at a time? Also I will be weaning my baby soon how long do I need to wait to have surgery? I have heard 6 months to 1 year.

TUMMY TUCK AND HERNIA REPAIR

A hernia repair is often done at the same time as the Tummy Tuck, and it is often best to do both at the same time. Insurance will usually cover the hernia repair as long as it is preauthorized before the surgery. You do not have to wait long after stopping breastfeeding to do the surgery as the breasts are not affected by the tummy tuck. As long as you are six months post pregnancy you should be ready to go.

Tummy tuck and hernia repair are done together.

An umbilical hernia is very common occurrence after pregnancy and they are routinely repaired during tummy tuck with the correction of the diastasis or muscle repair. Some consider umbilical or other incidental hernias extra, however in our practice it is just a part of the complete TT. We do not like other surgeons to help as this often complicates an otherwise simple repair, adds cost, and adds uncertainties to the procedure.

Tummy tuck and hernia repair

I suggest waiting a minimum of 6 months before surgical repair.  And yes, certainly we combine hernia repair and tummy tuck very frequently.  Insurance will pay for the hernia repair only and not the tummy tuck.  Your plastic surgeon can help you decide what is best.  Please make sure you visit with a board certified plastic surgeon and a member of the ASPS/ASAPS societies.

Paul Watterson, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck & Hernia Repair

Thank you for you question. Tummy tucks and hernia repairs are routinely performed together with excellent outcomes.  It is safe to do and will save you some recovery time.  If it involves the belly button it may require some adjustments to the procedure.  Most surgeons recommend about 6 months post pregnancy before proceeding with surgery.  Hormonal changes, breast feeding weaning issues, social support, and blood clot risks are all considerations to be taken into account. Congratulations and best wishes in the future.

Abdominoplasty

Abdominoplasties are very frequently done with hernia repairs. Your plastic surgeon will likely repair a small hernia themselves. However, if it is a larger hernia it is often done in conjunction with a general surgeon during the same operation.As far as weaning your baby, I agree that at least 3 to 4 months is important before breast  surgery.Good luck! 

Mark T. Boschert, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Tummy Tuck and Hernia Repair

TummyTucks and hernia repair can be done at the same time. This will often require coordination with your plastic surgeon and possibly a general surgeon, depending on the complexity of your hernia. As you know, hernias can occur around the belly button, from previous surgical incisions and weakness of the abdominal wall. The umbilical or belly button hernias are found after pregnancy and should be repaired. Also, it is recommended to wait at least 6 months after weaning your baby in order for your body to adjust to the hormonal changes and have your weight stabilize. Best wishes, Dr. Richard Swift

Hernia repair during tummy is ideal!

I am assuming that you are referring to a midline hernia. These occur as a result of stretching of the abdominal fascial midline during pregnancy and or weight gain known as diastasis recti.  This tissue is designed to stretch and make room for the growing fetus.  This separation of the rectus muscles (the six pack muscles) should be routinely repaired in most patients during tummy tuck to give the best possible results.  Small hernias in this thin membrane are sometimes found during Tummy Tuck that the patient did not even know about.  These are easily repaired in the course of the tummy tuck and repair of the diastases.

Hernias are typically repaired by General Surgeons with an incision and scar over the hernia area.  These scars can be very noticeable.  Therefore it is ideal to repair hernias during tummy tuck because the entire fascia and any hernias are exposed and can be repaired without skin incisions and scars over them.

The insurance component of a combined hernia repair during abdominoplasty can be done.  Insurance will not cover the abdominoplasty.

There is no set time after pregnancy that one can have an abdominoplasty.  It's really when you are at the weight you would like to be.  This is at least 6 months for most but could be less for those who have limited their weight gain during pregnancy.

Thank you for your great question.

hernia repair with tummy tuck

By hernia repair I'm not sure if you mean umbilical hernia or ventral hernia. Most hernias caused by stretching of the abdominal wall from pregnancy can be fixed at the time of surgery doing a tummy tuck. Sometimes, if the umbilical hernia is large it may make sense to have that repaired endoscopicly prior to a tummy tuck. I have my patient's wait at least six months after childbirth or weaning from breast-feeding before doing any cosmetic plastic surgery of the abdomen or breast. I recommend you see a board-certified plastic surgeon in your community. Good luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Yes - a tummy tuck and hernia surgery can be done at the same time.

It is possible to safely perform an abdominoplasty (tummy tuck) and hernia surgery during the same operation.  It is important that your surgeon(s) have experience in how the hernia is repaired (particularly an umbilical hernia) so as to not cause injury and difficulty in healing the belly button (umbilicus).  consult with a board certified plastic surgeon experienced in this combination of procedures for additional information regarding the specifics of your case.  in terms of timing after following pregnancy, I generally recommend waiting 6 months to a year before proceeding with contouring procedures.

It is common to repair and umbilical hernia during the course of a tummy tuck.

In my practice I have a general surgeon scrub with me and performed a hernia repair first, then I do the tummy tuck.

I would wait until your body has recovered from the pregnancy, and that you have finished nursing, and have returned to your prepregnancy weight before having a tummy tuck.