How can I tighten my vagina naturally, that will give me great results?

I have been pregnant 4 times in my life. I lost 3 and i have 1 living child. My vagina feels looser than what it use to feel like in the beginning. I dont want surgery cause i cant afford it. But what are some home remedies or recommended creams i can use. I heard of gooseberries but what else can i use. I want my partner to feel good during intercourse. Even though he doesnt say anything i can feel myself becoming looser. What can i do for now until i can afford surgery

Vaginal tightening

My condolences for your losses.  You are not alone in experiencing vaginal looseness after pregnancy.  It is an extremely common occurrence and can decrease sexual gratification for you and your partner.  Unfortunately, supplements and creams will not repair the damage done by multiple pregnancies and are only a waste of your time and money.  Many women are told to perform Kegel exercises, but it is unlikely that this will restore your vagina to its pre-pregnancy state.  If you cannot afford surgical vaginal rejuvenation (which is sort of like a tummy tuck for the vagina bringing the muscles and supporting structures back to their original positions), consider ThermiVa.  This is a non-invasive machine that uses radiofrequency to tighten the collagen in the vagina.  It is a series of treatments that also increase lubrication.  ThermiVa has been extremely popular in my office.  There is no anesthesia, no downtime and it is much more affordable than surgery. Best wishes!

Vaginal rejuvenation

Unfortunately there really are not any "home remedies" to naturally tighten your vagina. There are some non-surgical procedures that can be performed to tighten your vagina, however I stand by surgical vaginal rejuvenation as being the best option. While you cannot afford the surgery right now, there are financing companies like Care Credit that can help you pay for the surgery. Your next step should be to consult in person with a board certified plastic surgeon to find out exactly what type of procedure you need. This will give you a cost estimate so you can start planning on how much you need to save to have the procedure. Best of luck!

Jimmy S. Firouz, MD, FACS

No surgery tightening tips

Thank you for your query  and I'm so sorry to hear about your losses.  my first-line recommendation would be to perform your key goal exercises or to utilize a medical device such as an apex or intensity for pelvic floor rehabilitation. I'm not aware of any creams that really help to tighten the vagina.

I would also consider financing for a vaginal tightening procedure  if the above recommendations prove not to be successful

Increasing Elasticity with a Rejuvenation Procedure

Candidates of Vaginal #Rejuvenation or #Vaginoplasty surgery are women who desire a more youthful appearance and function of the vulva and vaginal area. For some women, the effects of childbirth, aging, trauma, and/or genetics, causes their vaginal tissue and muscles to become stretched, which results in loss of strength and tone in the vaginal area. This may result in decreased intimacy and sexual satisfaction. In some cases, the laxity of tissues can be visible.
The lining of the vagina can be reduced by removing excess and redundant mucosa which decreases the diameter of the canal.  Also, the muscle ring, # pubococcygeus, at the entrance or introitus can be tightened.These procedures along with exercises such as Kegles can help keep the muscle tone in this area. Aesthetic Vaginoplasty, in many cases, can increase friction during intercourse, giving women more control of #vaginal muscles, increasing sexual satisfaction. All while creating a more attractive and appealing appearance to the vaginal area.

Vaginal Rejuvenation

Hi Jasmaine,
We use non-surgical radiofrequency to tighten the vagina after child birth.  So far all our patients have been satisfied with their tightening.  Look up ThermiVa.  You might want to consider this.  And of course, keep doing Kegel exercises.  The link below discusses this treatment and has photos. All the best, Dr. Joe

The only method of tightening your vagina and pelvic muscles is to do Kegel excercises. You can easily Google many good descriptions of how to do those. Other than that surgery or ThermiVa treatment would be necessary. I would be very cautious about using any creams or inserting gooseberries as they could change the pH of your vagina and cause you to get an infection.

Mathew A. Plant, MD, FRCSC

Non-surgical Vaginal Tightening

Hi Jasmaine, This is a common problem that many women go through. Unfortunately, non-surgical remedies will never give you any type of result that is as close to what surgery will. If you are expecting to see a great improvement, then surgery would be the better fit for you. In the meantime though if you are looking for a non-surgical treatment we do offer an option that uses the power of laser to help tighten. It is called Intimalase and it will help to stimulate collagen remodelling for an end result of a tighter vaginal canal. There is no anesthesia required and many of my patients undergo this treatment to complement a labia reduction if they are not ready to undergo a surgical vaginoplasty. Best of luck! 

Non-surgical options for vaginal tightening

Hello Jasmaine,

I'm sorry about the loss of your pregnancies, but congratulations for your one child. All it takes is one vaginal delivery to affect vaginal sensation and function. Most women who have decreased sensation experience it alone as their partners aren't typically affected unless there's significant trauma or changes.

This is a question mothers have had since birthing babies. With the advent of anesthesia, decades ago, women have had surgery available and now with newer technologies there are non-surgical lasers for vaginal tightening. The following is a list of options:
1) Regular pelvic floor exercises - kegels. This may be enhanced or facilitated with the help of vaginal weights, physical therapy or devices that provide electrical stimulation or biofeedback
2) Find a partner with a larger penis - not advisable if you're in a committed relationship. Size does matter, though since there is now a size discrepancy.
3) FemiLift CO2 Laser for vaginal resurfacing - an excellent option in the patient with mild vaginal relaxation. Also helps with urinary stress incontinence and vaginal lubrication. Great option if you still want more children, want to avoid surgery or can't take time away from family and/or work to recover appropriately.
4) Surgical vaginal tightening with a vaginoplasty. May be performed at the time of pelvic reconstruction and cosmetic enhancement of the vulva, or at the time of any other cosmetic enhancement surgery.

Gooseberries and other vaginal concoctions don't work.

You should consult with a reconstructive pelvic surgeon with experience in cosmetic vaginal surgery who would help you determine the best options that are right for you.

Oscar A. Aguirre, MD
Denver Urogynecologist

Does "The Holy Grail" -VAGINAL TIGHTENING WITHOUT SURGERY- esist???

I have been a gynecologist for > 40 years, and have specialized specifically in genital plastic/cosmetic surgery and sexual issues for the past 15. Your question is one I have been asked hundreds of times and have pondered for years. "Tightening" creams, powders, and potions. Laser, Radiofrequency (new so-called "non-invasive technology") Does any of this REALLY WORK?

Unfortunately, the cream & potion thing only works for the scoundrels selling this junk. Don't waste your money. Regarding the "new generation" fancy "non-invasive" toys, well... the jury is still out. They are undeniably helpful for older women with vaginal atrophy, to LOOSEN the vagina & make it more wonderfully pliable.. but that's not what you're asking! FemiLift, MonaLisa, ThermiVa ( and several others coming soon-- there's big $$ to be made selling Laser units...) appear to be reasonably helpful in the narrow area of temporary improvement of urinary incontinence, and modest tightening of the vaginal SKIN, but are anatomically & physiologically incapable of the kind of pelvic floor reconstruction necessary for many of women with post-childbirth(s) laxity.
I agree to a point with Dr. Pelosi that you can Kegels 'till the cows come home but if you have separation of the levators, a herniation (bulge) in the floor, and separation of fascial fibers, tightening success will be limited. However, I would go on to say that if your laxity is strictly muscular and all else is intact, or if you have surgery & the muscles are reapproximated and strengthened, THEN - yes- good well-taught & performed DAILY pelvic strengthening exercise work pays dividends.

So... for you.  Your situation is REAL and you are honest in your call for help.  I think you understand that, in most situations such as yours (laxity after childbirth), only properly performed surgical reconstruction with post-operative ongoing exercising & healthy lifestyle will produce ongoing long-lasting results.  For now: 1) Visit a savvy gynecologist or gyn nurse-practitioner as well as a pelvic floor physical therapist to be evaluated regarding whether you are a candidate for muscular work, that your muscles are where they should be but lax,  with no true herniation  of the pelvic floor (second degree or greater "rectocele"). Then, work on your muscles as instructed. 2) If you are able to strengthen your muscles and there is only a modest laginal laxity, RF or Laser work will additionally help, but is costs ~ $2500-$3000 and needs to be repeated every 2-3 years. 3) (AND BEST!) A sexual attitude change may be helpful in place of, or in preparation for, surgery. There are many ways of making love. Work with your partner, and with a certified sex therapist if locally available, to see all the things that turn you & your partner on, of the wide array of different ideas, toys, positions and fantasies involved in healthy and sensual lovemaking. You will find positions you'd not imagined, and stimulations you perhaps haven't envisioned. Please open the weblink below for a list of books that might really help (available through your local bookseller or Amazon), and many online resources for ideas, support & toys that will help you to build both a stronger relationship and sexier lovelife. Yes, it may help, but IT'S NOT ALL ABOUT SURGERY!

Best wishes!

Michael P Goodman MD

Vaginal rejuvenation

Many women have a problem with laxity of the vagina after a vaginal childbirth that happened years ago. They say that sex is just not the same and they feel loose with intercourse. There are some actions you can take. First, do Kegel exercises regularly to build up the muscles.You can use vaginal weights too that you hold up with contraction of your muscles. No creams do anything; you need to simply strengthen your muscles. However, sometimes these are not enough.

If the laxity is mild, consider ThermiVa radiofrequency tightening, which builds up the collagen within the vaginal walls and provides a mild amount of tightening. It is a painless procedure with no downtime. If the laxity is moderate to severe, your best bet would most likely be a surgical vaginal rejuvenation to tight the muscles and the tissues. There is some downtime to this, including no intercourse for six weeks; but the results are satisfying once done. Good luck.

Robert L. True, MD
Grapevine OB/GYN