When do you get your sensitivity back on your nipples after a breast augmentation?

I had a breast augmentation after a week ago and a also had a breast lift on my right side. For some reason my left breast feel very numb and I can't feel my nipple. As for my right side, my nipple is fine. I am scared if I lose my sensitivity permanently on my left side. Is there any massage I could do? Why is is numb?

Nipple sensation returns slowly after breast surgery.

It’s still very early in your recovery period to be concerned about loss of sensitivity. Be very patient and allow your body time to heal. Nipple sensation should begin to improve in the coming weeks, but can take several months or up to a year. Unfortunately, there’s always a risk with breast augmentation and/or breast lifts that there may be some degree of permanent sensation loss. Hopefully, in your case, the nerve endings will continue to heal and you’ll regain sensation as you heal. Keep all your follow-up appointments with your plastic surgeon and discuss your concerns with them. Best of luck to you.

Eugene Plastic Surgeon

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well… I have to say that after a month you can feel your sensation again..
I have to say that you are still early on healing process, it is too soon to determine how your results are going to be, per now, they look very nice and beautiful, you can have one bigger than the other, feel swollen and also have bruises and open wounds, it is normal and that can happen for the first 3 to 4 months until your implants have settle in. I recommend you to wait and keep using your post surgical bra, that will help you with the shape and support!!

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Nipple sensation is variable

Hello. It can take quite some time for sensitivity to come back. I have had some patients take up to a year before they felt it was normal again.
good luck,

Anne Taylor, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

You should receive some return of sensation in the nipple by 6-8 weeks after breast augmentation and lift.  Return of sensation can be very slow and can take over a year to be complete.  However the longer your nipple is totally numb after 6 weeks the more likelihood that she may have permanent sensory loss.  Please discuss this with your surgeon.