Will sensation return after augmentation? (photos)

I was a 34 deflated b after breast feeding 3 kiddos. I had my augmentation on May 19 of this year. I have 550 silicone under muscle mentor implants bilaterally. I have limited to no sensation in the lower pole and nipple area. Will this return? If so when approximately? Thank you

Sensation should return in the next couple months.

A change in sensation — either a loss of sensation or a tingling/burning feeling — is not uncommon after a surgical procedure and shouldn’t be permanent. Your nerves can be affected and stretched during breast augmentation. Give your nerves some time to regenerate and re-establish connections with the surrounding tissue as your body adjusts to the breast implants. You should notice an increase in sensation in 2 to 6 months after your procedure. Since you’re roughly 5 months post-op, you may want to consider checking in with your plastic surgeon if the sensation hasn’t returned after 6 months.

When will sensation return to areas of my breasts after augmentation?

Sensation will usually return to your breasts within a few months after surgery but may take as long as a year.  You are 3 1/2 months from surgery, so it is still relatively early  for the sensory input to return.  The temporary loss of sensation happens in other surgeries (such as tummy tuck and facelift), so what you are experiencing is not unusual.  Good luck. 

John Zavell, MD, FACS
Toledo Plastic Surgeon

No sensation in nipple area

Hello there,Thank you for your question. This is a normal occurrence after a breast augmentation and sensation will most likely return to the area with time. It may take a couple of months to a year, so just be patient and do not worry. Loss of sensation is rarely permanent and it may come and go as you recover because of the sensory change.  Many people experience changes after surgery which include but are not limited to dull and/or sharp pain, discomfort, swelling, and loss of sensation. Remember to follow up with your surgeon so he/she can recognize any abnormalities. I hope this helps and I wish you the best of luck in your future endeavors.
James Fernau, MD, FACS
Aesthetic Surgery
CERTIFIED: American Board of Plastic Surgery
CERTIFIED: American Board of Otolaryngology/Head & Neck Surgery
Member: American Society of Plastic Surgery (ASPS)
              American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS)
              International Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ISAPS)
              American Academy of Facial Plastic Reconstructive Surgery (AAFPRS)
              American Academy of Otolaryngology/Head & Neck Surgery (AAOHNS)
              American Society for Laser Medicine and Surgery (ASLMS)
              The Rhinoplasty Society Phone: 412-446-0391 Fax: 412-446-0391

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon

Sensation after breast augmentation.

Lower pole skin sensation loss is common after inframammary crease incisions, but can occur with any incision. These nerves heal over 3-12 months, and sensation is usually quite close to normal. Some subtle sensory loss may be permanent, just as after C-section or other surgical incisions.

Nipple sensation is another thing, and is usually related to damage (temporary or permanent) to the branches of the lateral fourth intercostal nerve during surgical creation of the implant pocket on each side. Permanent loss occurs in 5-10% of BA patients.

Your sensation should return eventually, perhaps not completely, but enough over time to become a new "normal" that is not bothersome or annoying to most women. Best wishes! Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Sensory changes

Sensory change can happen with surgery. This might be due to swelling and might be due to manipulation during surgery. Often it comes back with time.

Return of sensation

Some temporary changes in sensation are common after breast augmentation. It is very rare for this to remain permanent. Your photos appear to show erect nipples which usually indicates intact nerve pathways. Feeling should continue to return over several weeks to months. A short period of hypersensitivity may follow before returning to normal.Close follow up with your plastic surgeon is recommended.  

Nipple Sensation after Breast Augmentation

It is pretty common to lose sensation at the bottom of the breast after augmentation - especially if you have a dual-plane technique. This is usually around the very bottom. It is more rare to lose nipple sensation but it can happen. This is usually temporary and can take 3-12 months to return. Rarely it is permanent, unfortunately. If you have numbness and tingling like your foot is asleep - it is more likely that it will come back. Best wishes!