How can I help my results last with a facial fat transfer?

Is there anything I can do for better chance of fat survival?

Improving fat survival

With good technique, most patients get a very nice result with one round of fat transfer. Aside from using gentle technique and ensuring good spreading of the fat within a given area to help achieve good blood supply to the fat, there have not been studies that have been convincing for use of other ingredients or techniques. That said, if a patient seems to have limited results from a first round (which is very rare) we will offer PRP to add to the second round.

Cincinnati Facial Plastic Surgeon

Increasing fat survival

The most important that thing the patients can do the increase the fat surveil after injection is to avoid smoking and minimize the movement in the fat injected site. On the other hand there are many things that the surgeon can do to augment the chance of fat injection success. These range from choice of patient to choice of the injection site, choice of graft donor site, technique of purifying fat, technique of aspiration and technique of injection. Age at which fat is injected makes a difference as well.The younger the patient the more successful the fat injection results are.Wishing you good luck.

Bahman Guyuron, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

The less icing the better it is for fat survival after fat transfer

There is not too much to do after fat transfer.  Icing, which is routine after most facial rejuvenate procedures... is usually not recommended after fat transfer to the face. In fact, not icing improves fat survival in some studies.  Follow the instructions given by your surgeon for best results.

Ritu Malhotra, MD
Cleveland Facial Plastic Surgeon

Fat grafting

Frankly, there is not much to do after the graft is placed.  Each surgeon is different and you might want to review the care with your specific surgeon. Best of luck.

Fat Transfer Survival

Thank you for your question.  Unfortunately, there isn't much that you can do as a patient to enhance survival of your facial fat transfer.  Most of the controllable factors are technique related.  These steps are usually taken by your surgeon at the time of fat harvesting, processing and injection.  Follow your surgeons instructions and keep in close contact with him/her.  Most patients will retain about 50-60% of fat that is transferred. Typically we compensate by overcorrecting.  On occasion a second stage transfer is necessary to achieve the ideal outcome.  Best wishes on your recovery.

Fat Transfer, How to Improve Final Results? TEMPLES / FACE

I suggest doing PRP/sculptra injections post treatment.  Please see an expert who does a significant amount of fat transfer.  Best, Dr. Emer.