What is the best option for a more defined jawline? (Photo)

Hi, I'm a 44 year old female and over the last couple of years I've developed a jowly and uneven jawline. I was wondering what would be the best option to get back a more defined jawline? I've read about Voluma but I'm not sure if it would give enough of an improvement. What would you suggest as my best option? Thank you.

What is the best option for a more defined jawline?

Dysport® injections along the underside of the jawline can tighten/smooth and lift skin of the jawline. In addition, a robust Calcium-based filler such as Radiesse® can shape/define/ enhance the jawbone to create a more defined jawline. As these are advanced injection procedures, please consult a board certified aesthetic dermatologist for a consultation.

Miami Dermatologist

More Defined Jawline and Treatment Options

There are many options for Jawline contouring.  Laser liposuction can help give more angle to the jaw and remove the jowls that many people develop as they age.  This in combination with lasers (ablative or not) help to tighten.  Radiofrequency treatments like thermage and ultherapy help to lift and give long term improvement, best in combination with lasers and liposuction.  Botox along the jaw can decrease the chewing muscle and give the jaw a more softer and round appearnce which is more feminine.  And appropriately place fillers on the jaw, chin, and near the ear help to give shape and lifting.  I suggest you see someone for a short and long term plan who has experience in doing these types of facial contouring type procedures.  It is best to have a combination approach, to help avoid you from needing implants or surgery (face and/or neck lift) in the near future.  Best, Dr. Emer.

Chin implants or injectable fillers define the jawline

Your jawline can be defined in two different ways: with a chin implant (sizes vary) or with injectable fillers (temporary). You can ask the surgeon more about the best option for you at your initial consultation. If you are unsure of the method that you would like to proceed with, a great option would be to find a surgeon that has an advanced photo software system so you can see a 3D image of what you would look like with the chin implant or filler.

Cory Torgerson, MD, PhD, FRCSC
Toronto Facial Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question about Voluma.

Two possible options:

• Injectable fillers such as Voluma
  • Mini Facelift

To be sure what is right for you, see two or more experienced, licensed and board-certified providers in your area for a complete evaluation to make sure you are a good candidate and that it is safe for you to have treatment.

J. Jason Wendel, MD, FACS

Radiesse for the jawline

Radiesse is an excellent filler for the lower face, especially to refine the jawline and angle of the mandible. 

DR. Karamanoukian 
Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Improvement of the jawline contour.

You have posed in excellent question.  There are a number of approaches which can be used to improve jawline contour including injection of fillers, reduction in mass of the masseter muscles using botulinum toxins, noninvasive skin tightening, and surgical approaches.  I would strongly recommend evaluation by a specialist who is highly skilled in all of these techniques to determine which are approach might be best for you.

Brian Biesman, MD
Nashville Oculoplastic Surgeon

Surgical vs. nonsurgical options for rejuvenation of the mid and lower-face

While evaluation is limited based on a single-view photo, you do have several nonsurgical and surgical options available to you.  The pros and cons of the options depend on the amount of down time you are comfortable with, and the durability of results you are looking for.  

Donald B. Yoo, MD

Defining the jawline

You have a few options for defining the jawline including the use of Botox, as well as fillers such as Juvederm Voluma or others in the cheek bones and along the jawline. Best to speak with your dermatologist about the best treatment options. Occasionally tightening lasers can be helpful for this as well.

Benjamin Barankin, MD
Toronto Dermatologic Surgeon

Thank you for your question. It may be beneficial to inquire about an alternate product for that area. An in person consultation is best to determine which product should be injected.

Martin Jugenburg, MD

Leave the decision of the type of filler to the doctor.

Many fillers can improve the jawline.  The particular brand of the filler decision should be left up to the doctor. There are variances of longevity  and lifting capacity that are often too complicated for the average patient to understand. A company's marketing budget shouldn't be what determines what filler to use. Also, certain fillers can't be used in certain areas. When it comes to your correction, research the most important aspect, your Doctor and his experience. I have a preference for cannulas because they have less risk, less bruising, less downtime. 

Steven F. Weiner, MD