Liposuction or Tummy Tuck? (Photo)

I sent a question in regarding best options for flatter stomach with avoiding surgery. I was informed my best option is only surgery since it have had csection and my muscles are stretched out. Can getting lipo help correct my stomach? I would consider this over tummy tuck since less risk involved. I developed blood clots in 2007 from toe surgery.

Much better candidate for and abdominoplasty in liposuction.

From the photograph provided it looks as though there is a sizable amount of laxity of the abdominal wall. Only an abdominoplasty will address this problem.

Liposuction or Tummy Tuck? (Photo

Based on the lateral photo, your abdominal wall is pouchy due to muscle laxity not fat. Therefore, I think you would benefit from a full tummy tuck to repair the muscles and improve your contour. Good luck!

Tummy tuck for excess skin and fascial tighening.

Your would definitely need a tummy tuck.  Liposuction only removes fat so it would not address the excess skin or the lax muscle fascia beneath this.  A tummy tuck removes all the skin  and underlying fat from the belly button to the pubic area in a spindle shaped area across the lower abdomen.  In addition, and very important in your case, the fascia would be tightened down the midline to correct your protuberance.

Your biggest concern should be you history of a deep venous thrombosis.  You need a work up by a hematologist before proceeding with  any surgery.  Make  sure  your plastic surgeon knows about this history!

Tummy tuck

A tummy tuck would be a better option but having a DVT throws a wrench into everything. You have to be worked up by a hematologist to determine if you can undergo another procedure. Best of luck.

Liposuction or tummytuck

I am sorry to disappoint you but your photo very strongly suggests that you need a tummy tuck-
You probably also need repair of an umbilical hernia but an exam is needed to be sure.
There is little fat to remove and liposuction will waste your money.

With a good surgeon and careful planning, a tummy tuck is a safe operation.

Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

Tummy tuck not liposuction

Thank you for your question and photograph. You do not appear to have enough excess fat to have a significant result from liposuction of your abdomen.  You do appear to have an umbilical hernia that should be repaired.  Based on your photo alone, it looks like the muscle repair would be the most important step to get you a flat abdomen.  The issue with the previous blood clot would have to be addressed first.  The hernia repair should be covered by your insurance. Be sure to see an experienced, board certified plastic surgeon. 

James McMahan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Need a Tummy Tuck

From the photos you have provided, it appears to me that you have a moderate amount of muscle laxity and an umbilical hernia. Liposuction will only address the fatty component between the muscle and the skin but will do nothing for the excess of skin nor the laxity of the abdominal muscles. My recommendation would be a tummy tuck based on what I see in your photographs. I recommend you seek the counsel of a  board-certified plastic surgeon in your area. Good luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Abdominoplasty vs. Liposuction

Abdominoplasty takes approximately 2-4 hours and is done under general anesthesia. A full tummy tuck requires a "bikini" incision. The size of your incision and resulting scar will depend upon the degree of correction necessary. Through the incision, I will repair weakened abdominal muscles, and remove excess fat, tissue, and skin. A second incision around the navel may be necessary to remove excess skin from the upper abdomen. All incisions will be sutured closed, usually with dissolving sutures. It may be necessary for your to have drains which will stay in place for 1-2 weeks to drain away excess fluid.

Liposuction is a common procedure to help contour areas of the body that will not resolve with diet and exercise alone. While liposuction is not a good weight loss tool, it is very useful in addressing persistent trouble areas that are resistant to weight loss. Using small metal tubes, areas of excess fat and subcutaneous tissue are removed with the use of suction to improve the body's contour. There are varying techniques that use electric, ultrasonic, laser or radiofrequency energy to assist the liposuction.

The main decision in thinking about abdominoplasty vs. liposuction depends on your anatomy and how much loose skin or muscle is involved.  From your pictures, I think you would probably be better served with an abdominoplasty, but you would need a consultation to figure that out.  I also disagree that the notion that there is "less risk" with liposuction.  Liposuction is still a surgical procedure which carries real risks.  Just because so many family practice and ER doctors have opened "cosmetic" clinics offering liposuction doesn't change that fact.  Make sure you seek out a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss your options.

Tummy tuck or liposuction

In the photo, you appear to have an umbilical hernia.   Would recommend having the hernia repair at the time of tummy tuck.   Due to the history of deep venous thrombosis, your surgeons will likely require that you are on blood thinners around the time of surgery.  Best to you.   

Joseph Franklin, MD
Durham Plastic Surgeon

Tummy

I think that both procedures have risks and can be done very safely. However, looking at your picture I would guess that you have very little fat, muscles that are separated and and A belly button hernia. An abdominoplasty would allow you to get rid of  A lot of stretch marks, the extra skin extra fat and repair the muscle and hernia. I think that will probably be your best optionGood luck!