Left side sunken in after removal of drain. Any suggestions? (photos)

My left drain broke off inside of me while being removed, then I had to go in and have the pieces removed, now on my left side my skin, scar is starting to sink in. I don't understand and would like some answers other than "THIS JUST DON'T HAPPEN"... OR it could be the patients fault that the product was defected.. Thank you.. Mrs. Frustrated

Sorry to hear about your struggles

Hello.I am sorry to hear you are still experiencing struggles. I am not sure what the sunken area is you are referring to, but from what I can see from your pictures, it looks like it is still very early in the post-op phase, so you will have swelling for quite to more time.Good luck

Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Sunken area should improve over time

Thank you for your question and photographs.  It is hard to see the sunken area that you are referring to in the photos.  As your surgery was relatively recently, you have a lot of healing to do and there is likely residual swelling that may be contributing to the appearance.  It is highly unlikely that the drain was 'defective.'  By far, the most common reason for a drain to break off during removal is that the surgeon accidentally sutured it in with one of the internal sutures. 

James McMahan, MD
Columbus Plastic Surgeon

Left side sunken in after removal of drain. Any suggestions?

Thank you for sharing your question and I am sorry to hear of your drain related issues.  I can imagine how frustrating your recovery has been.  Though the sunken in area is not clearly evident in your photograph, what has likely happened is some scarring from where the drain site was present after the procedure.  When the drain is removed the "hole" is left to heal in on its own and as the body fills in this area to seal it, it can cause a subtle indentation on the skin.  If the sunken in area is not at the site of the drain insertion site than it may be asymmetrical swelling to the tissues of your abdomen as a result of the need to reopen your incision to get rid of the additional drain pieces.  Your surgeon should be able to offer you the best explanation as they know the full details of your recovery.  Best wishes.