My skin is not producing collagen after Bellafill

Ive had bellafill 3 different times and it gets absorbed quickly but my skin doesnt seem to produce new collegan in the acne scared areas. I have one very large crater that was injected 3 times so far and it has sunken back in every time. Could this be a sign of auto immune problem? Im not sure whats going on and neither is the injector. They called bellafill and bellafill said they didnt know either.

Bellafill for Acne Scars

When patients say that their Bellafill treatment is not working, I recommend that the first thing to do is to check the pre treatment photos.  Many times it is working but not to the extent that you want it to.  

There are some things to consider and a couple of things that may help.

• Were the scars being treated soft, mature and distensible before the treatment? If the scar is tethered to the underlying tissue or still firm it will not come up and you will not see any results.  Sometimes subcision may help this, depending upon the situation.
  • Were was the Bellafill placed and was enough placed?  Many injectors are trained to put filler deep and only use very small amounts at a time.  With acne scars, Bellafill needs to be injected right under and sometimes right into the skin to get a good result.  I addition, you need to add enough to get adequate correction.  This is a hard thing to do since the needle from the injection will cause immediate bleeding and as a result swelling that will confuse the injector.  
  • Are you taking any anti-inflammatories, immunosuppressants or steroids?  These can reduce the results from a Bellafill treatment.

I hope that helps.

Best regards.

Kirkland Plastic Surgeon

Bellafill not staying in acne scars

If you are taking a medication that prevents inflammation (anti-inflammatory, a steroid, an immune suppressant), you won't react as well to the Bellafill. If you smoke, you won't produce much collagen. If you are in a negative metabolic state, you can't create collagen well. The best placement of the Bellafill is in the dermis, it might be placed to deeply. 

Steven F. Weiner, MD

Getting the Results You Want with Bellafill and lasers, microneedling/prp for acne scars treatment

This is tough to answer without pictures. Acne scars treatment usually requires a combination approach using lasers, microneedling/prp, subcision in addition to fillers. I recommend getting a formal evaluation with an acne scarring expert. Best, Dr. Emer