Had a Breast Augmentation 11/18/16, when can I pick up my baby?

I just had Breast Augmentation on 11/18/16. When can I pick up my baby? He's almost 16 months and weighs 27lbs. Thanks in advance.

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well.. It will be better to wait until you have at least a month from the procedure to start doing efforts.

Breast Augmentation/Breast Implants/Anatomic Gummy Bear Implants/ Silicone Implants/Breast Implant Revision

I appreciate your question.

I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you are healing at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

Breast augmentation and lifting

I restrict my patients from lifting anything more than about 10 lbs for several weeks pos-op. You should ask your surgeon.

Lifting

For implants placed above the muscles I would advice 2 weeks, and for under the muscles you must take care up to 6 weeks. Good luck.

Anthony Barabas, MBBS
Cambridge Plastic Surgeon

Picking up baby after BA

Hi, thanks so much for your question. This is a great question because after having breast augmentation surgery, it’s important to follow certain guidelines to make sure no damage is done to the affected area. It’s important to minimize activity for a few days after your surgery and it is generally recommended to not do any heavy lifting for up to six weeks after getting your implants.

I would recommend talking to your cosmetic surgeon to see what they determine is the best course of action for your specific recovery. If there is any pain and swelling you may use over-the-counter pain relievers such as acetaminophen to help relieve discomfort. 

Michael Chiaramonte, MD
Washington DC Plastic Surgeon

Lifting a toddler

Generally speaking, until 2 weeks, you should not pick anything over 10 pounds. From 2-6 weeks, nothing over 20 pounds.

As such, you should wait for at least 6 weeks in order to pick up your baby.

Toddlers like to be picked up, but you can get around that. For example, if your 16-month old is crying and wants to be held, you can squat down and hug them, or you can sit on the sofa or in a chair and have them climb up into your lap so that you can hold them. You want to minimize using your chest muscles as much as possible, and rather use you back to lift things if highly necessary.

You will feel better with each passing day. By the time you are one week post-op, you should feel much better. You will still be sore, but you will be feeling more like yourself.

As always, please call and discuss this with your plastic surgeon. Their instructions should take precedence as they are better informed about your surgical and medical details.

Hope this helps!

Martin Jugenburg, MD

When can I pick up my baby after breast augmentation?

This is something you need to discuss with your surgeon. They know exactly where they placed your implants and what would be best for you in terms of a rapid but safe recovery.

Lifting after breast augmentation

This is a question you should definitely ask your surgeon. Each of us has a little different post operative routine as it pertains to resumptin of activities. If your implants were placed on top of the muscle you can start lifting your baby in a week since the muscle has not beeen cut. For implants that are placed under the muscle I ask my patients to avoid lifting anything over 15-20 pounds for at least 3 weeks and preferably 6 weeks to allow the muscle to heal. That being said my patients with babies routinely ignore these instructions and they don't seem to have significant problems or a poor result. I would be careful early on holding your baby close to your chest. Babies can sometimes be a little rough.

Charles T. Slack, MD
Mckinney Plastic Surgeon