Is this necrosis? (photos)

I'm 1 week 3 days post op. If this is necrosis what can I expect? Is this going to open up like some I've seen on here? Will it get worse and spread?

Is this necrosis? (photos)

Thank you for the question and photos. There is definitely some wound healing issues going on. It is difficult to determine without examining you. It is best to contact your board certified plastic surgeon and obtain proper wound care instructions. Good luck.

Is this necrosis?

This may be minor bruising but does not look like anything serious. Follow up with your surgeon for proper case. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Necrosis with abdominoplasty

Thank you for the question and I am sorry you are concerned about your incision line. It is obvious from the photograph that your incision line is not healing as well as desired. It does not necessarily mean that it will progress to full thickness necrosis with wound development. You may simply peel the outer layer of skin much like a blister. Unfortunately there is no way to predict at this point but only time will tell. I would encourage you to reduce the tension placed on the incision line by remaining slightly bent at the waist. More importantly, I would encourage you to refrain from smoking or having contact with secondhand smoke since this will increase your likelihood of true necrosis. Good luck and good healing.

Paul B. Mills, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck scar

This looks like a superficial peel of skin on your incision. However, it is impossible to tell for sure in a photo. You need to contact your surgeon and be seen or at least instructed in wound care that they want you to do. Good luck.

Tummy tuck question

It might be necrosis. You need an exam to be sure. Fortunately, it looks like it is very limited. If there is any skin that does not survive it should go on to heal very well. See your doctor.

Tummy tuck delayed healing

Hi - you have some localised redness and bruising. Usually this will heal without intervention but you should contact your surgeon for a wound review. 

Skin necrosis after tummy tuck

Yes - I think there is some skin necrosis based on the pics provided, the extent of which is yet uncertain. See your surgeon for a face to face evaluation and advice on the best way to get the area healed. Good luck

Paul Jason Skoll, MBChB, FRCS, FCS (SA) Plast
South Africa Plastic Surgeon

Not really

Some redness 10 days following surgery is not unexpected.  The redness that you have appears to be bruising.  I would see your plastic surgeon and get his her opinion.  I would suspect, if you are 10 days post-op that it would not get worse.  Good luck. 

Necrosis

The area may become necrotic.  You need to see your surgeon to discuss this condition.  Typically, if the small amount of skin is necrotic, it is likely the scab will fall off and the skin heals without any problems, but if the area of scab is large, you may need to surgically removed.  Consult your surgeon.

Alex Kim, MD

Alex Kim, MD

Incision Necrosis

Thank you for your question and pictures.  I would recommend getting an appointment with your surgeon for further evaluation.  Best of luck to you!

Chad Robbins, MD