Lopsided breasts, hematoma...worried! 3.5 weeks post OP (Photo)

Hi- thankfully, an infection has been ruled out by my PS (we had a scare before), but my breasts look completely different, even 3.5 weeks post OP. My right breast had a small hematoma and my PS said it'll resolve itself, but I haven't noticed the swelling go down at all. The breast isn't awfully hard, but much more tender than the left. I also have sharp pains every now and then and can't even bear to touch my nipples, even changing the bra hurts them. I'm having second thoughts about this..:(

Worried about lopsided breasts

I understand your anxiety and it is not unusual to have second thoughts after any cosmetic surgery, including breast augmentation.  But you are really still in the very early period after breast surgery.  Asymmetries, discomfort, feelings like "popping", swelling, and even bruising are not unusual at 3 weeks.  Talk to your plastic surgeon about your concerns.  There is no magic amount of time to wait, but most patients I tell to wait 6 months or so, although that time can vary. So try to be patient and I bet most of those concerns take care of themselves. 

Make sure to schedule follow up visits with your surgeon. 

Wilmington Plastic Surgeon

Final shape of your breast

The final shape of your breasts will start to look its best approximately three (3) months after surgery. It takes time for the skin and muscle to stretch and relax around the new implant. The breast will often look higher, firmer, and “less natural” in the first three (3) months. It can take up to a year to see your final result.

The final appearance, shape, and movement are not exactly the same as normal breasts. The surgically enlarged breasts do not move in the same way as normal breasts. They tend to be firmer. The contours are usually somewhat different than normal breasts. In some patients these discrepancies may be rather noticeable. Although every effort is made to place the implants symmetrically, complete symmetry is rarely achieved. Immediately after surgery, the breasts are swollen and firmer. The final shape and size is approximated after 2 to 3 months, but up to one year may be required for the end result.

Follow your surgeon recommendations #breast implants complications

This early, after your surgery, the only option is to allow your body to heal, what you see now, may not be later. Follow your surgeon recommendations in regards to massage and compression. An ethical surgeon will follow you closely and reassure you in regards to what to expect.

As always, the most important factor in obtaining a good result in your cosmetic surgery is the surgeon you elect to perform it.

Be sure your surgeon is an  ABPS certified plastic surgeon

Victor M. Perez, MD, FACS
Kansas City Plastic Surgeon

Possible asymmetric positioning of breast implants.

This early in the convalescence is probably not the time to make critical judgments about the outcome. From the photograph it looks as though the left breast implant is lower than the right. This is something to discuss with your plastic surgeon.

3.5 weeks post op

Thank you for the question.  I am sorry you that you are having some difficulty with recovery I encourage you to be patient and give
yourself about 6 months everything should be settled down at that point.    The hypersensitivity you are experiencing and occasional sharp pains are not abnormal and should subside.   The patient satisfaction with this procedure is very high be patient and discuss
your concerns with your surgeon.   Best of luck.

Ivor B. Kaplan, MD
Norfolk Plastic Surgeon

Breast asymmetry

Thanks for writing,
I always tell my patients the breasts are sisters not twins. We make an attempt to make them a equal as possible, however there are things we can't control, such as the ribs, breast bone, muscles and curvature of your chest wall. That being said it can take as long a 6 months for the implants to settle into their final position. Stick with your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon and follow his / her instructions carefully and completely.
Good Luck

Stephen M. Davis, MD, FACS
Green Hills Plastic Surgery

Breast asymmetry

I do see the asymmetry of your breasts with your left breast being lower on your chest wall than your right and possibly of larger size. Without seeing your preoperative photographs, it's hard to tell if some of this asymmetry was there to start. It is helpful that a hematoma was ruled out but it still could be swelling that's of dissimilar amounts between the two breasts. We see that all the time. At 2 1/2 weeks it's too early to determine if the sizes are off. Likewise, I would wait a couple months to see if that right breast does drop a little to better match the right. In my opinion, it's the right one that looks okay in the left one is a little too low. Follow up with your plastic surgeon is recommended. Good luck.

Marc J. Salzman, MD, FACS

Asymmetric breasts

Sorry to hear about the difficulties you are having. Patience is the key at this point. It takes 3 months for the swelling to subside. As far as the tenderness and nipple hypersensitivity, this will improve once the swelling subsides. Close follow up with and trust with your  plastic surgeon is important..

Dr. Ravi Somayazula

Ravi Somayazula, DO
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

Lopsided breasts, hematoma...worried! 3.5 weeks post OP

Thank you for your question and photographs.  I am happy to hear that there is not any signs of active infection but I can see your area of concern for asymmetry.  Without pre-operative photographs it is difficult to say what, if anything, is taking place.  After an augmentation the nerves of the skin are stretched as a result of swelling and the increased volume of the implants. This stretching irritates the nerves which can cause a number of different nipple and breast skin sensations including increased/decreased sensitivity or a burning/electrical feeling. These normally resolve spontaneously given enough time. You are still very early in your recovery and I would maintain close follow up with your surgeon to ensure you have an uncomplicated recovery.