I want to get a tummy tuck with muscle repair. Am I a good candidate for this? (Photo)

I am 52 years old in good health 5'4 142 lbs BMI is low category 23 Have a back injury 30 years ago I plan on dropping 10 more lbs. and hoping this to help with some tight support in my front tummy . Any suggestions??

Tummy Tuck with muscle repair

You appear to be a great candidate for abdominoplasty with muscle repair. I would seek an experienced Board Certified PS and schedule in person consultation. You can go to the American Board of Plastic surgery to see if the surgeon you're choosing is Board Certified. For more info re/tummy tuck you can view a video here

Excellent Candidate for abdominoplasty's part of a mommy makeover.

I think you get an excellent result from a well executed abdominoplasty with repair of the abdominal wall. There really is no other choice aesthetically in your particular situation.

Am I a good candidate for a tummy tuck?

Looking at your pictures it appears that you would benefit from a tummy tuck. Your next step would be to set up a consultation with a certified plastic surgeon to discuss your options. Best of luck. 

Aras Tijunelis, MD
Libertyville Plastic Surgeon

I want to get a tummy tuck with muscle repair. Am I a good candidate for this?

Based on your photos, but without an examination, you appear to be anatomically a good candidate for a tummy tuck with muscle repair. It is difficult to tell whether you are in fact a good candidate for a full extended tummy tuck and liposuction of selective areas without a physical examination and complete medical history. It would depend on your anatomical findings, motivation, realistic expectations, and whether you are finished having children.

The best long term cosmetic results with the least likelihood of potential complications are achieved in patients who weigh within 10 pounds of their ideal weight.

If a member of my family underwent these procedures, they would be performed by an experienced plastic surgeon who is board certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery. If you are serious about undergoing these procedures, you should have a thorough consultation with a plastic surgeon having those credentials, who will fully explain what is entailed in the procedures, including both the positives and potential problems. You should be complimented on the fact that you are seeking valid information before jumping into any procedure.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Thank you for the question and pictures. You will likely be an excellent candidate for tummy tuck surgery; definitive advice however would necessitate much more information. Generally speaking, the “ideal” patient for tummy tuck surgery is one who has completed pregnancies, is psycho socially/emotionally/financially stable, has an excellent social support system surrounding him/her, is capable of arranging enough recovery time, does not smoke and who has reached a long-term stable weight.
When the time is right, seek consultation with well experienced board certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience achieving the types of outcomes you would be pleased with. It will be important to educate yourself about the potential risks/complications associated with surgery and have a good idea of realistic expectations. Keep in mind, that it is a major operation, associated with a significant physical (and often emotional) recovery period.  Arranging enough help/support at home will be important part of the planning process. I hope this, and the attached link, helps. Best wishes.

Should I have a TT?

Hello I be me. If you are healthy then you should be a good candidate for plastic surgery. It is possible you are a candidate for tummy tuck. Without a full history - to asses your overall health status and and exam, I cannot fully recommend TT surgery online. However, I have done hundreds of tummy tucks on individuals that share your anatomy if we based it solely on your photos and achieved good outcomes. You can see photos of patients with similar anatomy on my website. I like to perform the lowest incision possible which makes it better for patients to enjoy their TT result sooner. It is typically recommended that patients be at their stable weight before surgery. Best wishes, Dr. Aldo.

Aldo Guerra, MD

Based on the pictures, you should consider a combined liposuction and abdominoplasty to improve your waist. 

See link below for examples. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS

Assessing fitness for tummy tuck

Thank you for your question about your tummy tuck.

• Good for you for your health and fitness - it takes hard work!
  • You photo shows you to be an excellent candidate for a tummy tuck
  • Given your low BMI, good health and fitness you would be in a low risk category for complications.
  • Find a plastic surgeon in whom you feel confidence and enjoy your result!

Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

Tummy tuck candidate?

Thanks for your question.  A proper exam would be required to confirm if a tummy tuck is appropriate.  However, based on the photos there is loose skin that could be removed with this procedure, so you could consider a consultation with a plastic surgeon.

Greetings. Based on the photos provided, you would be a candidate for a tummy tuck. The muscle repair is part of the tummy tuck. The additional weight loss of 10 lbs will definitely improve the overall result. A plastic surgeon can see you in consultation and discuss the specifics of the procedure with you. Good luck!

Ravinder Jarial, DO