I am 38 and ever since I had my second child (2 yrs ago), I lost volume in my cheeks but gained bags under my eyes! (Photo)

I'd prefer non-surgical options if possible. My physician has said that fillers won't help me but I would like a second opinion. Would Restylane be an option? What other options do I have?

Camouflage of lower lid fullness with soft tissue fillers

Thank you for your question. It does appear that you would be a candidate for volume correction in the midface and tear trough region. While this will not reduce the prominence of the lower lid puffiness, it can help correct some changes which have taken place in your face and camouflage the lower lid fullness. Best of luck.

Nashville Oculoplastic Surgeon

Volume loss and bags under eyes

Thank you for your question and photos.  This is a common problem and fillers are a wonderful option to soften the bags and improve the volume loss in the cheeks.  Voluma or Restylane Lyft are both great options to improve the volume loss in the cheeks.  This will give you a more youthful and rejuvenated appearance while also appearing natural.  Additionally, filler around the eye region can also soften the bags or tear troughs in this region.  I hope this helps and best wishes to you!

Natalie Attenello, MD

Voluma for Lost Volume and Eye Rejuvenation

Voluma is a fabulous product for lifting the cheeks and adding lost volume. It also helps make the eye area appear more youthful.  This has become my favorite injection for just this reason! Best, Dr. Green

Lower eyelid bags following pregnancy

Dear LB3104:

Thanks for sharing your photos! So sorry about you post-pregnancy changes; I hope I can help you rejuvenate!

Most physicians today would recommend the use of fillers under the eyelids. This works well for temporary changes in the skillful hands of a talented injector. This is an advanced injector technique and may camouflage the bags and fill the descended fat compartments.

There are many things to consider in your rejuvenation including the loss of elasticity of the skin, the loss of septal tightness over the eyelid bag, creases, lines and folds.

Please consider:
  1. Obagi ZO Skin Health care to reverse the aging changes of skin texture, elasticity and unevenness of color. 
  2. ThermiSMOOTH, the newest tool for external skin tightening using ThermiRF radio-wave energy. 
  3. Fillers in the deeper compartments. 
  4. If you are a good candidate, a combined blepharoplasty and mid-face lift is the most rejuvenating surgical procedure for this area. 

As with any decision, consult with the most talented and skilled, Board Certified Plastic Surgeon to review your options.

I trust this is helpful. All the best!

Dean P. Kane, MD, FACS

Voluma camouflages undereye area

15 years ago the only suggestion was surgery for hollow cheeks and lower eyelid bags.
3 years ago fillers were done for the tear troughs but a lot of puffy lids and visible filler.
Now my approach for someone with lost volume in the cheeks and eyelid bags who is not ready for surgery is Voluma. Although this filler does not improve the bags, it camouflages the appearance. I have done over 200 patients and 99% have been happy.

Voluma helps restore the volume in the cheeks making the area more youthful. It hides the hollowness of the cheeks and makes the bags look better. Looking at your picture that is what I would recommend
Voluma lasts up to 2 years, and may need more than one syringe of material.
Fat grafting can also accomplish this result.
The volume of the cheek fell away with gravity and aging and exposes the attachment of the muscle to the bone edge and makes the puffiness of the eyelid from aging more noticeable too.

Injectable Fillers

Thank you for your question. If you are opposed to surgery then injectable fillers may help camouflage your under eye bags while restoring volume to the cheek. It is just not treating the root of the problem which can be corrected with a minimally invasive surgical procedure. An in person second opinion to determine candidacy is best.

Dr. Daniel Ritacca

Daniel J. Ritacca, MD
Chicago Oculoplastic Surgeon

I am 38 and ever since I had my second child (2 yrs ago), I lost volume in my cheeks but gained bags under my eyes!

Hello LB3104,

In your picture you do show undereye bags.  This is a result of fat that is normally found around the eyeball starting to push forward.  The ways to treat this are either camouflage or surgery.  Surgery will get at the root cause and remove the fat that is pushing forward.  What fillers will do is camouflage it.  The reason we notice the bag is because the shadow that is being cast.  By using fillers (I like Restylane), you will elevate the tissue around the bag to blend it better with the surrounding face.  The use of cheek fillers (I like Voluma or Restylane Lyft) can help restore your cheeks and also help with the bags to some extent. 

I'd recommend you consult with another injector, preferably a facial plastic surgeon, plastic surgeon, or oculoplastic surgeon so you can hear about the surgical and non surgical options to determine what is best for you. 

I hope this helps and good luck. 

William Marshall Guy, MD
The Woodlands Facial Plastic Surgeon

Can fillers help?

Fillers are the way to go. Find a reputable injector to optimize the likelihood of a great result.

Best wishes!  Harry V. Wright MD, Sarasota, Florida

Harry V. Wright, MD
Sarasota Facial Plastic Surgeon

Dark Circles, Eyelid Wrinkles/Bags Treatment -- Restylane or Belotero with Cannulas, Clear+Brilliant, Eclipse Micropen, Viva

I suggest fillers, microneedling/PRP, and/or lasers.  In my practice these do great and give results that decrease the need for surgery. Best, Dr. Emer.

Can Restylane hide the bags?

Thank you for posting your question and photo. From evaluating your photo, it appears that your bags could be softened with the injection of dermal fillers into the tear troughs. See an expert in this area for comprehensive evaluation in person and discussion of treatment options. 
Good luck,