Experienced "hybrid tummy tuck" doctor in Ohio? (Photo)

I carried triplets and luckily most of my damage was only internally. I am naturally thin and my ab muscles seem strong, but I have 3 finger widths of diastasis recti. I have a small amount of skin that could be removed but there is no way I need a full hip to hip cut. I have heard mini TT can't fix the abs above the belly button which I DO need. From what I've read a hybrid sounds perfect for me. I'm 5'10, 140-145 lbs. I'm wondering if there are any surgeons around me who could handle this?
Click here to search for board certified surgeons in your area.

Floating umbilicus tummy tuck

The floating umbilicus version of a mini tummy tuck might work. The umbilicus is left attached to the skin but the stalk divided. Then the plication is comleted and the skin removed as in a mini tummy tuck. It works best with a high belly button as it does get pulled down somewhat. In patients with a low belly button this does not work.  Those patients then need a full tummy tuck to do the plication of the abdominal wall.

You don't need a certain "type" of procedure, you need an experienced plastic surgeon!

Everyone wants a short scar but maximum improvement, and you seem to have found what you think will be a "solution" if you can only find the surgeon who says s/he can do exactly what you believe will "work." Would you tell a construction engineer how to construct a bridge? Do you go to your car repair shop and tell them how to fix your "check engine" light?

It seems in this information and internet age that everyone does research and then tries to find someone who is a (usually self-proclaimed) "expert" in the named procedure (think "overnight recovery breast augmentation," "no-scar breast lift," or "Lifestyle facelift"--sorry, the last one went bankrupt due to false advertising!). ALL plastic surgeons spend 6 or more years AFTER medical school working 80-120 hours per week to learn all the nuances of plastic surgery of all kinds throughout the body.

And you think that a few hours of research can give you a "better" answer than a face-to-face consultation?

No, of course, not; that is why you seek additional information here. But you should be asking a consultant who can examine you and check skin tone, muscle tone, and the severity of your diastasis, as well as assess your intra-abdominal contents. S/he can address your goals and weigh the pros and cons of scar vs. skin removal, and talk to you about umbilical "floats" and malposition vs. periumbilical scars and muscle repair of the upper abdomen. And lots more.

There are entirely too many questions and photographs on this site of patients who complain about their bad tummy tuck scars, horrible belly button "bullseye" scars, umbilical position "too low" after being talked into a "float" mini-tuck procedure, and poochy upper or lower abdomen after an inadequate operation. "Less" is usually less good of an outcome,  NOT less scarring, cost, or recovery. And re-do surgery costs even more, so that "savings" (cost, scar, operative time, etc.) is not such a "savings" after all, is it?

See at least three ABPS-certified plastic surgeons who are experienced in tummy tuck procedures, and see what they say, not who agrees with what you have researched. This is not to discount the value of doing one's homework, but understanding that as experts in this area, we have spent YEARS of study and research, so why not go with the best? Warmest regards, Dr. Tholen

Richard H. Tholen, MD, FACS
Minneapolis Plastic Surgeon

Experienced "hybrid tummy tuck" doctor in Ohio?

There are a variety of tummy tucks that can produce a good cosmetic result in the appropriate patient: a mini tummy tuck, a modified with an umbilical float (which still allows the doctor to tighten the muscle above the belly button with a shorter incision), or a variety of a full abdominoplasty, all of which may, or may not, include liposuction. Generally if there is significant loose skin above the umbilicus (belly button), a full tummy tuck will result in a greater correction and better outcome.

Liposuction alone, no matter which type, will not produce a good cosmetic improvement in a patient with your anatomy.

Keep in mind that following the advice from a surgeon on this or any other website who proposes to tell you exactly what to do based on two dimensional photos without examining you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative procedure would not be in your best interest. I would suggest you find a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and ideally a member of the American Society for Aesthetic Plastic Surgery (ASAPS) that you trust and are comfortable with. You should discuss your concerns with that surgeon in person.

Robert Singer, MD FACS

La Jolla, California

Robert Singer, MD
La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Dr Kayser

Thank you for your question. Although there are various ways of performing different tummy tuck procedures, two issues remain. First, is excess skin which can either exist as vertical excess or excess circumferentially around the body. The second issue deals with abdominal laxity which, in your case, is described as a diastasis or separation caused by your pregnancies. Repair of the muscle requires elevation of the skin and tightening of the muscle with stitches. After this is accomplished, the skin will be managed separately and any excision will necessarily require a scar. This can vary from patient to patient. Ultimately most scars healed quite nicely and it is  essential to keep the scars within the clothing lines  when the final result occurs. Although you may hear of different approaches to various tummy tuck procedures, it is important to understand that each patient is different and will require evaluation by a board certified plastic surgeon who's experienced in the various approaches to body contouring. I hope this helps and have a wonderful day. Dr. Kayser - Detroit

Melek Kayser, MD
Detroit Plastic Surgeon

You are right, I have done Abdominoplasties for mommies with multiple births without the full length scar.  One patient was a competitive marathon runner and had minimal percent body fat but an enormous muscle separation.  It can be done through a very short scar, like a mini abdominoplasty and in some cases I have not had to release the umbilicus.  The muscle separation can be fixed almost like an endoscopic procedure with a relatively short incision. I would find someone in your area who is familiar with this technique. You're right you do not need to settle for the full length scar!.Good luck! 

Mark T. Boschert, MD
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

This can be done with a shorted scar but is still a "full" tummy tuck as it needs to go up to just under your chest to fix the wide diastasis. A "mini" tummy tuck does not go above the belly button and would leave you with a bulge in the upper abdomen. 

Karol A. Gutowski, MD, FACS