I want to have a bbl and can't decide when. How long I'll need to wear the "after surgery garments" ?

How long should garments be used after surgery?

Thank you for your question and congratulations on planning your surgery. You definitely have to choose your surgeon correctly and make sure that he/she has the training and experience to meet your goals with absolute safety.  Best is a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with specialized expertise in this procedure. Regarding post op garments you should wear them for at least 6 weeks. postoperative compression garments will help the skin to contract down around the new shape.

How Long To Wear Compression Garment After Liposuction

The length of time you will wear your compression garment will depend on your plastic surgeon. In my practice, my patients wear the compression garment for a minimum of 6 weeks. The compression garment will help with bruising and swelling, and will help your skin to shrink wrap to its new shape. Make sure to avoid any pressure on your buttocks (no sitting or laying on your buttocks) for at least the first 6 weeks. Best of luck.

Millicent Odunze-Geers, MD, MPH
Sacramento Physician

BBl and garment

Each doctor is different and some do not even use garments. You are best to ask your surgeon what he thinks.

BBL Garments

Every doctor will have different opinions. Here at our facility BBL patients wear a compression garment and also compression stockings. Their surgery garments are worn for six weeks following surgery and the compression stockings would only need to be worn for two weeks to prevent blood clots.

Jaime Perez, MD

Thinking About A BBL?

Thank you for your question! The Brazilian Butt Lift is a wonderful procedure to consider.  I suggest you seek a board certified plastic surgeon, who preforms these routinely.  Post op instructions are different with every surgeon.  Best of luck!

Dr Dhaval Patel

Double Board Certified 

Plastic Surgeon 

Hoffman Estates

Oak Brook

Dhaval M. Patel, MD
Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon

Brazilian Butt Lift/ Fat grafting/Liposuction/ High Definition Procedures/Butt Implants

I appreciate your question.

I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you will be healing following surgery.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

I would recommend scheduling a few board certified plastic surgeons and ask them about their aftercare protocols because each surgeons differ slightly based on their beliefs and technique. This is what I recommend for my patients; during the first week, only sitting to use the toilet is recommended and you should sleep on your stomach. The second week you may sit up to 5 minutes two times per day, the third week you may sit up to 9 minutes five times a day only and after the third week sitting is fine as long as you are comfortable. I also recommend that your garments be worn at all times for 4 weeks from the day of surgery. I hope this helps.

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon