Will my hips (for example) be uneven after fat is taken?

During a fat transfer to the face, is fat taken in even amounts from both sides of the body? Or will I have a dent on one hip fat was removed from?

Fat transfer to face

I will try to make sure that I take it evenly from wherever I remove it from. I will often start in the lower abdomen. Often the amount needed is not like when one is performing a BBl. I may harvest 50-100 cc's of fat and that is it for the face.

Fat donor site flaws

The amount of fat that is removed from the abdomen or the hips is not usually significant enough to cause any visible depression. However, if the needed volume is significant we harvest the fat evenly and from several sites to minimize any noticeable flaws.

Bahman Guyuron, MD
Cleveland Plastic Surgeon

#liposuction #plasticsurgery #facialfatgrafting

Hello MrsTran, thank you for your excellent question! facial fat grafting requires a very small amount of fat to be taken from the donor area. Your board certified plastic surgeon will not remove enough volume for any changes to be noticeable. I highly recommend scheduling a consultation with a board certified Plastic Surgeon to discuss your options and formulate a surgical plan that is tailored specifically to your health and needs. When setting up an in-person consult with a plastic surgeon look for someone who has at least one of these credentials: *Board Certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery - the gold star symbol  *A member of the ASPS (American Society of Plastic Surgeons) - the circle symbol  *A member of the ASAPS (American Society of Aesthetic Plastic Surgeons) - the Queen Nefertiti symbol with a Triangle  Feel free to contact our office, it would be our pleasure to answer your questions in person. My very best to you, Brian S. Coan, MD, FACS   CARE Plastic Surgery  

Brian Coan, MD, FACS
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Fat Transfer Donor Sites

For fat transfer procedures, the donor sites will be contoured in a symmetric fashion. You can discuss with your surgeon your preferred donor areas, but typically if you were planning on taking extra fat from the hip area, both hips would be contoured for a symmetric end result. 

Ashley B. Robey, MD