Are my implants bottoming out? (Photo)

I had a breast lift with implants over 5 months ago! I feel like recently they have dropped and I'm worried my implants are bottoming out?

Are my implants bottoming out?

I have to say that you are still early on healing process, it is too soon to determine how your results are going to be, per now, they look very nice and beautiful, you can have one bigger than the other, it is normal and that can happen for the first 3 months until your implants have settle in. Open wounds and scars are also very common in this procedure, and also if it happens, you have to get with your plastic surgeon for cleaned and if it's worse , put stitches on it.I recommend you to wait and keep using your post surgical bra, that will help you with the shape and support… 

Am I bottoming out?

Thanks for asking!

From your pictures, it doesn't appear that you are bottoming out at this point.  One tell-tell sign of this is that the breast crease incision will tend to ride up on the breast which suggests that the implant has descended lower than it should.  

Some patients will experience stretching of the lower pole (which is actually referred to as "lower pole stretch") which may mimic bottoming out.  The difference here is that the incision will tend to stay in the same position while the distance from your nipple to the fold will increase because of skin stretch. 

Treatment for these two conditions is very different and so its important to identify which specific condition you would have.  But at this point, I actually don't think you have either.  

I hope that helps and wish you the very best!

Best Implant with lift

Large Implants due to their weight, gravity, thinning of tissues, chronically not wearing a bra, loss of elasticity and other factors may cause continued stretching so that your breast implant is no longer supported in its ideal position. This results in the progressive lowering of the inferior breast crease (inframammary fold). When the implant moves South to an undesired inferior position it results in the loss of volume and flattening of the upper pole of the breast, too much volume at the lower pole, increasing the distance from the fold to the nipple and finally the nipple position being abnormally high ( pointing up) and not centered. Similarly, the pocket can also stretch to the side (lateral) so that when lying down your implants fall towards your arm pits or sides, causing the “Side Boobs” appearance.
Bottoming out and Side Boobs Contributing Factors:
  1. Larger/Heavier Implants
  2. Implants placed above the pectoralis muscle
  3. Chronically not wearing a bra when upright
  4. Over dissection of the Implant Pocket
  5. Smooth Implants
  6. Large swings of weight including pregnancy
  7. Skin and soft tissue laxity, loss of elasticity
#bottomingout
#breastaugmentation

Bottoming out of Implants

Hi Roxie,

thanks for your question and photos. Bottoming out has different degrees. Even mild to no bottoming out bothers some patients while others are not bothered. You results look good but you have about 1-2cm of slight bottoming out based skin relaxation and the implants falling into place which is common and NORMAL. If you want to be able to see your inframmary fold, then you would internal support. I recommend wearing underwire bras as often as you can. The implants will continue to drop over time. Good Luck!

Carlos Mata MD, MBA, FACS,
@bottomingout @docmata #drcarlosmata

Are my implants bottoming out?

Your inframammary crease is well defined and you have nice upper pole fullness. Your result looks excellent and I see no evidence of bottoming out.