I had a full tummy tuck. I am not happy with what I am seeing. Am I judging too soon? (photos)

I am a 40 yr old mom of 4. 2 c-sections. I am only 2 weeks post op. I expected tighter skin from under the breast down, a nicer belly button & fewer stretch marks. Also the pubic area is bulging. Are these things that will improve with time or will I need revisions? I hate the thought of going through this again. And if I didn't like the outcome do I return to the surgeon for revisions? Again I realize I'm still healing but it seems to me as swelling decreases the skin will continue to get looser.

Tummy Tuck Concerns

You are quite early in your recovery and, as is typical, you are being critical of your result.  The concerns you expressed are not unusual.  You should discuss them with your surgeon but understand that for many patients the final result may not be evident for 3-6 months.  Try to be patient.

Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

Is too early to judge

Hello dear, thanks for your post and provided pictures as well. Is too early yo judge. We usually use the time of about 3 months to judge results with our patients. Still at that time there can be some degree of swelling that comes and goes, but that is small amount.

At 2 weeks you will be reaching a point where swelling gets worse as the day goes on and is better in the morning. Sometimes the lower abdomen feels pretty firm late in the day.

Of course everything varies with what your surgeon did. We do a lot of liposuction with our tummy tucks which may prolong healing a bit.

I recommend to be patient and to keep a closely communication with your PS and talk about always about your concerns.

Good luck :)

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Too Early

2 weeks post operative results are too early to be concerned. In the weeks to come, you will see changes that take place. Tummy Tuck is a very big surgery and takes many months to see the final result. Continue to see your plastic surgeon for your concerns and follow up visits. Best of luck to you and your new figure!

Jules Feledy, Jr., MD
Bethesda Plastic Surgeon

Am I judging too soon after tummy tuck.

It is very early, just two weeks to know how your result will measure up, and your photos are typical for such an early time in the recovery process. Stay positive and in touch with your surgeon and scheduled visits and things are likely to turn out well for you.

Skin

you are very early in your post operative course. it takes 4-6 months for the swelling to subdside and to see your results.

Deborah Sillins, MD
Cincinnati Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question and photographs.  At two weeks you will continue to see dramatic changes to your overall appearance as your swelling resolves, your tissues become more supple, and your skin shrinks.  I know that waiting is the most difficult thing to do, but give your results 6-12 months to reach their long-term results, and then assess the need of any revisions.  I think you have already gotten a very good result which should only improve with time.

Tummy Tuck Results

Hello and thank you for your question and photos and congrats on your recent surgery! I still think you are very early in the post op process to determine any result. Continue to follow all post op instructions given to you by your surgeon. It will be around the 12 week mark at least where you could begin to see final results but even at that point you could still have swelling. In the meantime, relax and keep taking care of yourself!
Best of luck to you!

Michael K. Obeng, MD, FACS

Judging Too Soon?

Thank you for your question, and for the pictures.

Yes, you are still very early in the recovery phase.  You still have a lot of swelling, and your drains are still in.  You have a lot of healing to do.  We typically take our postoperative pictures at 3 months for exactly that reason.

If you don't like your results, I do suggest you talk with your surgeon (as you suggest).  It's ok to voice your thoughts and concerns at any time, and your surgeon should be able to provide an explanation for what you are experiencing.

Daniel Krochmal, MD
Chicago General Surgeon

Early post-op result from tummy tuck

Thanks for your question and photos.

You are too early to judge your surgical outcome at this time.
Please allow at least 3-6 months to fully appreciate your result.
However, based on your pre and post-op photos, you seem to have a good early post-op result.
Continue following up with your plastic surgeon.

Best regards.

I had a full tummy tuck. I am not happy with what I am seeing. Am I judging too soon?

Thank you for the question and pictures. Based on your photographs, I think that you have a very nice early outcome;  frankly, I think your plastic surgeon has done a very nice job for you. I would encourage ongoing patience; keep in mind that it will take several months and even up to one year see the final outcome of the procedure performed. Also, important to keep realsitic expectations in mind as well. Best wishes.