Butt Lift: How much time should I wait to travel so I don't die from a blood clot?

Options: 1.) hole up in a hotel for 14 days after my BBL and Lipo surgery then go on a 4 hour flight. Or 2.) Have someone drive me 29 hours home while I loaf not on my a$$ in the backseat. Likely splitting the trip up into three day segments, taking advantage of rest stops. Etc. Yes, a poor unfortunate soul agreed to this. They like "scenery".... Whatever. :| If neither is really a great idea, how much time should I wait so I don't die from a blood clot?

Brazilian Butt Lift/ Fat grafting/Liposuction/ High Definition Procedures/Butt Implants

I appreciate your question.

I would recommend that you discuss this question with your surgeon as every surgeon has their own respective post op protocol for his/her patients.  Your surgeon is your best resource as he/she is most familiar with your medical history and how you are healing at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

Risk Of DVT Following Surgery

The period of greatest risk for DVT following surgery is the first two weeks.  No matter where you are, or how you are traveling, you should get up and walk every two to three hours to reduce the risk of DVT.

Peter Lee, MD, FACS

There is no perfect answer to your question as patients can develop a blood clot at any time. We know that you are at increased risk for a DVT for 2 weeks after surgery. You should walk around at least 5-6 times per day to get the blood flowing in your legs. Whether you fly or drive you should make sure you get up and move around (during the 4h flight you should get at at least 2x and walk to the restroom etc/ in the 29 hour car ride you should stop and get out of the car every 2h). The 29 hour car ride without a seatbelt does not sound terribly safe to me. 

There are relative risks for blood clot that are based upon the risk factors of the individual, the length of surgery, and the type of surgery.  So the need for a prolonged stay will vary from surgeon to surgeon.

Traveling after a Brazilian Butt Lift

We have many patients fly into town for the Brazilian Butt Lift procedure! 

We usually recommend they stay in town for at least 1 week. 

Make sure to discuss this with your doctor as each different doctor has his/her own protocols and can better asses your particular situation and medical history.

Sergio Alvarez, MD
Miami Beach Plastic Surgeon

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well... It will be better for you, that after surgery you start using your blood clot prevention meds as your surgeon recommends, and you will be able to travel after a few days from surgery safely...

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Travel after BBL

There is no good answer to this question and depends on your specific risk factors for a blood clot and the amount of liposuction and fat transfer. I recommend that you discuss this with your surgeon to determine what is best for you. We have a number of patients travel for surgery and recommend that they stay local for 2 weeks for close follow-up. 

#BBL #ShapedExtraJuicy #liposuction #fattransfer #BrazilianButtLift #DrSej #fatgrafting #fatsurvival #BBLrecovery #beverlyhills #curves #weightloss #bodysculpting 

Sejal M. Patel, MD

BBL and travel

I think that you are better off staying near your home to have the surgery. There are probably many good surgeons in your area. Good luck.