One molar pulled, now tooth next to it has also lost crown?

Last year, a gold cap fell off my far right lower molar. Couldn't afford to have it crowned again. So tooth was extracted (including an episode of dry socket...) - Now, the crowned molar next to the missing one just fell off - leaving exposed dentin. No root canals on either molar. Question is I cannot afford a porcelain/gold crown. Would a cheaper plastic one work? I don't want to have another molar pulled.

Options for lost dental #crown #DrSoftTouch

Hello there,
Fixing your tooth would really depend on how much tooth structure is remaining. If enough structure remains, a post and new crown would be indicated. The cost of a new crown may seem expensive, but crowning your tooth now will cost much less than the cost of an extraction and implant to replace the tooth in the future. Many dental offices offer payment plans to make dental care feasible for all patients.  I would recommend speaking with your dental office about your options.  Good luck and I hope this helps. Follow me if you have more questions.

Sarah Thompson, DMD
St. Louis, MO area (O'Fallon, IL)
Real Self 100