Could this be a hematoma? (photos)

I am 3 weeks post opp from a BA with a lift. Is this normal bruising or a possible hematoma on my left breast? The left breast is bigger, and was always bigger pre opp. Could be bigger from swelling?

Is this a hematoma?

HI help,

The discoloration on your breast looks more like bruising to me, but you need to keep a close eye on your breasts. If your pain or swelling increase, please see you plastic surgeon. In fact, it might put your mind at ease to see your plastic surgeon now , so that he/she can monitor the area and you can discuss your concerns.
Hope this helps.
Dr, Christine Rodgers

Could this be a breast implant hematoma?

It is impossible to tell without an examination.  If the size has been stable since her operation it is not likely.  Typically hematoma causes significant pressure, pain and enlargement of the breast.  When in doubt it is best to be examined by your surgeon and not follow Internet advice.

Bruising vs hematoma

Your bruise looks very typical following an augmentation from the numbing medicine injected at the time of surgery and does not look like what we typically see when a hematoma occurs. Regarding the asymmetry and swelling you should have your surgeon evaluate you. Based on your photos you appear to be healing very well thus far.

Stacey Folk, MD
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Breast Augmentation Postop Asymmetry

It's always a bit of a guessing game to decide the cause of postoperative asymmetry when there was asymmetry preop.  Key factors to consider are:
1). How asymmetric were the breasts preoperativl?
2)  Were two different size or shaped implants used?
3). How asymmetric were the breasts immediately postoperatively?
4). Is the asymmetry improving, stabilized, or increasing as time goes by?
5). Is one significantly firmer than the other?

Some asymmetric bruising could mean a hematoma or it could mean nothing.  At times it may even be hard for your surgeon to distinguish between some bruising and a small hematoma.  Generally, a small hematoma will resolve in a few weeks and any residual asymmetry is from another cause.

Samuel Beran, MD

Bruising after BA

The photo shows what seems to be a minimal amount of bruising. It is difficult to assess from the photos about the size, but if you do not feel an intense tightness of the larger breast then it is unlikely a significant hematoma.  Your plastic surgeon can assess you and examine the breasts for tightness. 

Samuel Shatkin, Jr., MD
Buffalo Plastic Surgeon

Hematoma After Breast Aug and Lift

Thank you for the pictures and questions. Definitive diagnosis of a hematoma or other post-op problems such as infection, etc. requires an exam. Please check with your plastic surgeon. 

David S. Motoki, MD
Draper Plastic Surgeon

Hematoma

Honestly if you have concerns regarding a possible hematoma you really need to contact your doctor directly.  Either see them in person or send them these photos.  Only they know your recovery best and typically it is best to diagnose a hematoma in person.

Call your doctor to find out further instructions.

If you would like more information regarding breast augmetnation and the recovery process you can download a free copy of my breast augmentation planner at ABetterBreast.com.

Richard H. Fryer, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

Breast augmentation

There does not look to be haematoma but I would see your PS and if any doubt I would get an USS just to reassure you. 

Gary L. Ross, MBChB, FRCS
Manchester Plastic Surgeon

Could this be a hematoma

Thanks for your question and photos.  It is very difficult to conclude the amount of swelling and whether or not a hematoma is present from your photograph.  Based only the photo, it seems to be a normal bruise.  Best to follow up with your plastic surgeon.  Good luck.

Hematoma or Bruise

It looks like a bruise. These are fairly common following your procedure. Don't worry. Follow up with your surgeon on a routine basis.

Alfonso Oliva, MD, FACS
Spokane Plastic Surgeon