What ointment should I put on my open wound? (Photo)

I have my tummy tuck 6 weeks ago and I have a big wound on my right side, I just whant to know what ointment or antibiotics I have to apply in order to be moist. Thank you

Where is the plastic surgeon?

This should be treated with wet to dry saline dressing changes 4 times a day, not ointments.  Where is the plastic surgeon in this process?

Open wound

Thank you for your question. You should talk to your PS for local wound care, as every one treat differently. Please contact your PS for evaluation and local wound care.

Wound Care

Hello,You and your surgeon should be working together using saline soaked gauze covered in dry gauze as a dressing. This 'normal saline wet to dry dressing' should be changed 3 times daily.  No ointments or antibiotics necessary.Best of luck!

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS

Wound care

Your Plastic Surgeon should advise you on this. Personally I usually prescribe Silvadene Crean dressing changes. But with time and care, this wound should heal well. Best wishes.

William H. Gorman, MD

Tummy Tuck

It's my pleasure to answer your question.I recommend you to be in contact with your surgeon as soon as possible for orientations.Sincerely,Dr. Aramis Vega

Aramis Vega, MD

Open wound

You should really speak to you surgeon as everyone has slightly different recommendations for each patient when it comes to open wounds and the post op healing instructions.

N. Bill Aydin, MD
Paramus Plastic Surgeon

Tummy tuck care

You should speak with your plastic surgeon on how he/she would like you to care for the wound.  The instructions may change as the wound goes through various stages of healing.  Protocols will vary from surgeon to surgeon.

Camille Cash, MD

Tummy tuck

Thank you for your question and photograph.The best person to ask would be your plastic surgeon. Every surgeon has a slightly different post-operative protocol and if you are unsure about your aftercare instructions I would contact your doctor and have them clarify for you. I would recommend Mupirocin ointment to my patients to keep it moist and prevent bacteria from growing on the skin and causing infection. Best of luck in your recovery.
Sincerely, James Fernau, MD, FACS
Board Certified ENT
Board Certified Plastic Surgery
Member of ASPS, ASAPS, ISAPS, The Rhinoplasty Society, AAFPRS, OTO/HNS, ASLMS, International Federation for Adipose Therapeutics & Science

James Fernau, MD, FACS
Pittsburgh Plastic Surgeon