5 weeks post-op. How can I heal my scraped cut faster?

I got breast augmentation 5 weeks ago and my surgeon put glue on my incision so when my glue fell off it ripped off a tiny bit of skin leaving me a scraped cut that will not heal,how can I make it heal faster?

How Can I Heal My Cut

Superficial cuts generally heal well with minimal wound care such as keeping the area clean and covered with a breathable dressing. Talk to your Plastic Surgeon if you have concerns about healing.

All the best

Healing after breast augmentation

Your concern is a common concern after surgery. Your best option is to check with your plastic surgeon to make sure everything is OK. I would do this rather sooner than later as if there is actually any concerns they can be addressed promptly. Best to you!

Healing incisions after breast augmentation

I agree with my plastic surgery colleague below.  Everyone heals differently and there can be variability in the length of time it takes to "totally heal" after breast augmentation. I would make an appointment with your plastic surgeon to examine you, as I believe it is very important to have close surveillance and follow-up with incisions after breast augmentation.  Sometimes the simplest, smallest "wound" that doesn't want to heal after breast augmentation can be a problem.  Breast implants are not "living tissue" and making sure the tissue heals properly over them is extremely important.  "Breakdown spots" in the incision if not properly cared for, can lead to breast implant exposure and infection which can also mean additional revision surgery is necessary.  I recommend using anti-Staphylococcal soaps such as Hibiclens, showering twice a day, and avoiding submerging in water, such as pools, baths, hot tubs, etc. until the incisions are completely healed.  I hope this helps.  Good luck!

Wound from skin glue

Hello,  it is always best to get advice from your own surgeon when it comes to wound care, because the best treatment depends on many factors (wound size, depth, drainage, signs of infection, etc).  Generally for very small wounds, a topical antibiotic ointment and sterile bandage work well, but your surgeon can confirm.

Helping wounds to heal

I recommend that my patients use a gentle soap such as Dove unscented bar soap or Cetaphil.  We were taught in our plastic surgery residency that if it will sting your eye, its too harsh for your healing wound.  So no harsh soaps like ivory and no antibacterial soaps.  Next, I have them buy some Aquaphor in the moisturizer section at their local pharmacy and apply this 2-3x day with a light gauze pad on top until it is healed.  

Jonathan Hall, MD