How much time should I allow between an eyelid lift and a facelift? What sequence should I do them?

I am 61 years old and have been approved by my insurance for an eyelid lift due to vision obstruction. I prefer to go to a different doctor for a face lift (he will not take insurance for the eyelid lift). Also, I have already paid for a 1540 Fraxel lazer treatment. Is it feasible to try to do all 3 of these during a 2-3 month period this summer. How much time should I allow between all three? Or should I just do the eye and face? What sequence should I do them and how close together?

Begin With Eyelid Surgery, Then Move to Facelift

I always recommend working from the top downward. I would suggest that your eyes are addressed first and allow 6 weeks to pass before undergoing the facelift. In theory, they can both be addressed at the same time, but since different surgeons are involved, I would allow the first procedure to heal completely prior to the second. Laser treatments are best performed after all lifting procedures are done. Again, waiting 6 weeks should be enough time for the cheek skin to heal prior to any resurfacing procedures. Good luck with your procedures.

Time lapse for Surgeries

Hi Debbie Sputo

Thanks for posting! All the best for your eyelid lift, great that your insurance company will pay for this. It would be best to consult your PS on what options you have to do your surgeries. Perhaps do the eye's and face first and then see what results you get before you do the lazer treatment. It's a shame you can't do them together, as this would have minimized the down time you experienced.

The Concept Facelift is less invasive than a traditional facelift and there is less scarring, bruising and swelling for a significantly quicker recovery period. This innovative procedure combines the latest surgical techniques with the use of local anaesthetic to dramatically reduce the risks associated with traditional facelifts, while significantly reducing the bruising and downtime of your recovery, from months to a matter of days.This is a combination of a SMAS lift and skin tightening that allows the procedure to have it's longevity without the trauma and invasiveness of a traditional facelift.

You seem very internet savvy so good on you for doing your research.

Amir Nakhdjevani, MBBS, MRCS, FRCS (Plast)
London Plastic Surgeon

Eyelids, Then Facelift

Thanks for your detailed question. If you are going to have the eyelid and facelift surgeries performed separately, schedule the eyelid lift first. Waiting about 4 to 6 weeks after that to undergo a facelift should be plenty of time for the eyelids to heal. Of course, ultimately you should follow the advice of the plastic surgeons who are actually doing the procedures. As for a laser resurfacing procedure, I would ask your surgeon if she or he will perform it at the same time as the facelift. That will mean you'll have one fewer recovery. Good luck with the procedures!

Surgeries First, Then Laser Resurfacing

Thank you for your question. With some careful scheduling, it's quite possible to have all procedures performed over the summer. Most surgeons would perform the eyelid surgery first, then the facelift; what matters most is that you allow yourself 2 to 3 weeks to heal between the first and second surgical procedure, assuming the eyelid surgery is done under local anesthesia, perhaps with a mild intravenous sedation. It is generally recommended to space out general anesthesia 4 weeks apart.Whatever you choose, hold off on the Fraxel treatment until 3 to 4 weeks after the second surgery, allowing time for the facial swelling to go down. Be sure that you let each of the medical practitioners know about the other procedures you plan to undergo. Good luck!

Marc DuPere, MD

Timing of different facial surgeries

If you would like to have the blepharoplasty and facelift done separately, I would suggest having your eyes done first as they heal reasonably quickly.  You can likely proceed with facelift 4-6 weeks after.  Your laser can be done once you have sufficiently healed from the facelift. 

Adam Bryce Weinfeld, MD

Easy to stagger these procedures

I believe the plastic surgeon can safely proceed 4-6 weeks after your eyelid surgery.  95% or more of the lid swelling will be gone by then, and you can have an excellent result from your facelift!

Best Wishes

Joseph M. Woods, IV, MD

Facelift, eyelid surgery, laser treatments

A facelift and eyelid surgery can be performed together or separately. If they're performed separately, it is probably best to wait at least a month in between the surgeries. The laser treatments can be performed another month after both eyelids and face lift surgery.

The eyelid lift and the facelift

Dear Debbie,

Thank you for your question.  The eyelid lift is usually a fairly small procedure that does not require significant time for healing.  It would make sense to schedule this procedure first.  A facelift could be scheduled a week or two after your eyelid surgery.  I would recommend saving the laser for last.  Three to four weeks should give you sufficient time for healing after a facelift and before laser.  Good luck!

Konstantin Vasyukevich, MD

Go for it

Do them all as close to together as you can. In my neighborhood we do it all at one sitting.Why waste your time waiting to heel . Use your time showing off how good you look

Richard Ellenbogen, MD

How much time between procedures?

Hi Debbie, I would schedule the facelift procedure about two weeks after the eyelid surgery. This will allow the eyes time to heal before adding additional swelling to the healing process.

Todd C. Miller, MD
Newport Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon