Oculoplastic Surgeon or Craniofacial Surgeon?

Both surgeons said the same thing, that scar tissue is pulling my lower lid down and I need a spacer graft. I've had a few surgeries go awry that I'm now scared of getting a surgeon that sees me as a guinea pig rather than a patient. I just want some help with my eye. The plastic surgeon I went to see specializes in craniofacial surgery and reconstruction. The oculoplastic surgeon knows eyes but he gave me the impression that he was more into Botox and my pore size/skin conditions.

Doctor Answers 3

Surgeon Choice for Ectropion Correction

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Both Specialties train surgeons to take care of ectropion (lower lid pulled down). The key is not so much the specialty but the experience in taking care of this problem each has. I would ask specific past experience questions and then make a decision

Oculoplastic or craniofacial

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

  well.  I am biased.  I definitely would choose the oculoplastic surgeon if it was me as that person is far more well trained to treat your problem.  however, you do need to feel comfortable with whoever you choose.  Consider checking the directory at ASOPRS.org

Lawrence Kass, MD
Saint Petersburg Oculoplastic Surgeon
4.8 out of 5 stars 140 reviews

Choosing your surgeon

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

You need to be comfortable with the surgeon and their knowledge, personality, expertise and how comfortable are you with them.

Samir Shureih, MD
Baltimore Plastic Surgeon

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.