What is the best surgical procedure to make me feel beautiful again?

2 years ago I had a baby (I gained A LOT of weight) I ended up with a large amount of skin hanging down from my abdomen. (An apron?)I embrace my curves but wish to have a flater stomach& get rid of the over hang. My breasts hang down from breastfeeding &hang towards the sides. I am a D-DD cup so I do not need a bigger size just a push up and together. Is there a weight limit to get plastic surgery? I've lost all my baby weight and still working to lose more, but I am still a big gal. 230lb 5'7.

I think there are probably good options to make you feel beautiful again

If you are like most ladies who want to reverse the effects that pregnancy and breastfeeding had on their bodies, you would benefit from some form of breast lift or reduction, with or without implants to create fullness not size, and some form of body contouring, like tummy tuck or belt lipectomy/body lift.  It is difficult to say exactly what would be best for you at this point, because you still want to lose some more weight, and we have never met in person.  We really can't provide specific recommendations without a personal evaluation.  While we may not actually operate until you get pretty close to your target or goal weight, and many surgeons don't want to see you until that time, I personally think it's a great idea to meet with surgeons who are willing to meet with you now.  For one thing, you may actually be a good candidate for surgery now, but we would never know that if we don't meet and examine you.  And, if we do decide that further weight loss is indicated or desired, at least we have met, formed a rapport, and started you on your way to getting information and setting realistic goals on the way to having your surgery.  We can answer the questions you have now, show you exactly what to expect when the time for surgery rolls around, put you in touch with other ladies who have undergone similar procedures so that you can hear firsthand what their experience was like and learn directly from them, and provide recommendations to help you set the stage for surgery.  Sometimes we can also help with recommendations for fitness or exercise trainers or dietary advisors too, for those who are having difficulty getting a jump start on the weight loss.  All-in-all, I personally prefer to see patients like you, who are serious about surgery, earlier rather than later, because I can educate you and get you prepared better over the long run than if we just met today and did surgery next week!  You should look to meet only with board certified plastic surgeons for this type of surgery, as they will be the only ones with the proper training and experience to reliably get you through with the results that you are looking for.  In addition to being certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery, your surgeon should also voluntarily participate in the Maintenance of Certification program administered by that board. This is the best way to know that your surgeon not only has the best training and experience for the procedure, but that he or she has maintained currency in the certification requirements as opposed to practicing on a "lifetime" certificate which has only been reviewed once at the beginning of his or her career. For more information on this you can visit ABplsurg.org or ABMS.org. Good luck.

Mommy Makeover - Candidate? Still Need To Lose Weight?

Thank you for your question. You sure sound like a candidate for a mommy makeover. The lower abdominal skin excision and muscle tightening will give you an excellent contour as well as improve the tone of the anterior abdominal wall. The breasts would benefit from a lift +/- an implant. It is safest to undergo elective plastic surgery procedures when are are within 15 pounds of your ideal body weight. Please see a board certified plastic surgeon for an in-person examination to discuss the specific details of the procedures. Ask to see before and after photos to get an idea of what can be achieved. Hope this helps!

Mommy Makeover

It sounds as if you'd be a good candidate for a tummy tuck and breast lift or reduction depending on your desired outcome. Schedule a consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon in your area to discuss your options. 
My best,
Dr. Sheila Nazarian
@drsheilanazarian on Instagram

Sheila S. Nazarian, MD

Hello, and thank you for reaching out to us.

My recommendation is that you find an ASPS board certified surgeon in your area and set up an in person consult. An in person consult with an an ASPS board certified surgeon is the only way to determine the best route for your body and your goals. A mommy makeover seems like the ideal procedure for you - and based on your consultation your surgeon will let you know the best route for you to acheive your beauty goals. 

Good luck, please let us know how it goes.

- Dr. Constantino Mendieta

It sounds like you've experience some of the common changes that many women undergo after pregnancy. Breast deflation and sagging can be addressed with a breast lift, and also an augmentation if someone desires in increase in size.  It sounds like you are happy with her current breast size, so you wouldn't need to consider an augmentation.

Hanging skin on the abdomen can be addressed with a tummy tuck.  A tummy tuck allows the excess skin to be removed and the underlying abdominal wall to be tightened.  The abdominal wall becomes stretched during pregnancy, and the abdomen can have a bulge that can't be improved with working out. It's called a rectus diastasis and results from a separation of the six pack muscles. 

Prior to considering any body contouring procedure its best to obtain a body weight that you are happy with and plan to remain at in the future.  This allows your surgical results to be predictable and long-lasting.

Seeing a board certified plastic surgeon in person will help you get the most useful information.  You will have an opportunity to hear about all of your options and decide how best to reach her goals.

Mommy Make-over, tummy tuck, breast lift

You will get the best answer to your question by scheduling an in person consultation with a plastic surgeon certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and discussing your unique situation and concerns. The surgeon would meet with you, examine you, physically feeling the tissue, assessing your desired outcome, taking a full medical history, and discussing the pros and cons of each operative procedure in person and what you can realistically expect. Then you can make an informed decision on which procedure(s) to start with according to your desires, recovery time necessary, your history and current health. Surgery after children is very rewarding for our patients. One of the most important factors is not only your health going into the procedure(s) but the support system you have available for your recovery time and the amount of time you can seriously devote to recovery. If you have three active children and only a few days where you can rely on assistance driving, taking care of housework and children and daily activities then staging the procedures may be your best option. If you have help for a good two weeks where you can really focus on you and your recovery and someone else is going to take care of the daily routine and responsibilities than it is not uncommon to do combined procedures for one surgery, one recovery. Patients that have the needed recovery time scheduled in advance usually recover faster as they don't have the added stress of knowing they are needed 4 days after a tummy tuck to be back to their normal routine. Take all of this into consideration with your surgeon when making this decision and get realistic answers to your concerns in advance will make the whole process easier.

An abdominoplasty is the best way to flatten the abdominal contour after childbirth.

From your description it sounds as though and abdominoplasty would make the most dramatic change. It will tighten abdominal wall and remove excess fat and skin.

Want to feel beautiful after my baby

Thank you for asking about your mommy make-over
  • From your description, a breast lift and a  tummy tuck are probably what you need.
  • You are heavy - be sure your surgeon assesses your risk of blood clots and recommends ways to reduct your risk, e.g. using Exparel for pain, post-operative vein ultrasound, blood thinners, etc.
  • If you are in the process of losing weight, see if you can lose the weight before having surgery -
  • You will have a better long-term result.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes.

Mommy Makeover

Thank you for the question and you sound like an excellent candidate for a Mommy Makeover after you reach a stable weight.  So see an expert in your area with a weight loss program that has a discount for surgery when you reach your target weight 

Dr Corbin

Frederic H. Corbin, MD

Based on your information, it sounds like you would benefit from a tummy tuck and breast lift. The best results are achieved when you reach a more ideal body weight. So, keep losing weight for now. Then, once you reach a stable weight, you'll be ready to consider surgery. Thank you for sharing your question. Best wishes.

Dr. Gregory Park

Gregory Park, MD