Silicone Implant Discomfort - should I talk to a Plastic Surgeon or Primary Care Dr?

I got 600cc silicone breast implants underneath the muscle April 2010. 3 wks ago I started feeling lots of discomfort around day I was trying to see my scar in crease. I couldn't get a good look and kept lifting and pressing breast upward very gently to see. Maybe I did something but maybe I didn't and discomfort is unrelated. My surgeon is in a different state so I cannot go see him. Should I look up a new one or ask my primary care doctor for an x-ray or MRI? Not sure what I should be doing.

Doctor Answers 3

Primary care vs plastic surgeon

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thank you for your question. Contact your original surgeon and ask for a copy of your operative report and implant information then make an appointment with a plastic surgeon near you who is certified by the American Board of Plastic Surgery and preferably a member of the California Society of Plastic Surgeons. 

Pain possibly from implant years later?

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

It would be a good idea to find a board certified plastic surgeon in your area to evaluate. Bring as much information about your surgery (implant info, pre/post photos) to the consultation as possible. Most primary care doctors are not experienced enough with breast implants to know what may be cause for alarm and what isn't. It is easy to simply order a radiologic test (ultrasound or MRI), but then the test needs to be evaluated by someone who is experienced with dealing with implants. 

See either doctor

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

Thanks for your question. This pain or discomfort could be due to a variety of reasons. Since your surgeon is out of town it's probably best to touch base with him/her via email or call so that he/she is aware, but to also see your primary doctor. Your primary care doctor can evaluate you and determine if he/she needs a test, such as ultrasound or MRI and can also get you an appropriate plastic surgery consult if needed. 

Best wishes, 

Dr. Blagg

Austin, TX

These answers are for educational purposes and should not be relied upon as a substitute for medical advice you may receive from your physician. If you have a medical emergency, please call 911. These answers do not constitute or initiate a patient/doctor relationship.