Recovery time frame for Breast Augmentation?

I am looking into getting a breast augmentation done and would like to know what the recovery time frame is? I work for a car dealership in the business office doing normal office duties and dont want to take that much time off of work. thank you

Recovery time after breast augmentation

I recommend that patients allow themselves 10 days to 2 weeks for full recovery after breast augmentation in 4-6 weeks for very vigorous strenuous exercise.

Most patients find they can return to a sedentary job without a lot of physical activity  IV in the first week.  Don't believe that you can return to work after 1-3 days.

Recovery after breast augmentation

Every patient heals differently, but most patients can expect to recover from the surgery itself in about 4 - 6 days and return to work at this time. For the first 3 days after surgery, you should get up every 2 - 3 hours and walk around your house, as tolerated, to decrease the risk of blood clots. While you are seated, occasionally move your ankles around in a circular motion to increase circulation. In regards to returning to more strenuous activity, I generally recommend you wait about 4 - 6 weeks. I like to clear my patients for exercise before they go back to the gym to make sure their body is ready for their workouts. When you do start working out again, start slowly and gradually work up to your normal routine.

Jimmy S. Firouz, MD

Recovery and returning to work

The best way to understand and prepare for recovery from breast augmentation would be to consult with a board-certified plastic surgeon in your area who specializes in the procedure.  During your consultation, you and your surgeon will discuss available options for your surgery such as implant size,  type, placement, and incision area in order to develop a personalized approach to your breast surgery that achieves your ideal breast shape and size with optimal safety and comfort in mind.  The procedure  is surprisingly straightforward, causes just moderate discomfort and involves a relatively short recovery for most people.

Depending on the nature of your job and the treatment options you’ve selected, you may feel able to return to work in as little as a long weekend to five days.  Some patients feel ready to return to work even sooner after their procedure but it is crucial to follow your doctor’s post-operative instructions in order to avoid unnecessarily risking complications such as infection or a hematoma.

In discussing your lifestyle and day to day activities, your surgeon will be able to provide further insight on the timeline of physical restrictions during your recovery as well as suggested arrangements that may assist in balancing your career demands and personal obligations during your recovery.  For example, you will need to avoid heavy lifting and raising your arms above your head for about 4-6 weeks.  If this might interfere with any of your job responsibilities, I’d recommend giving your employer advanced notice that you may temporarily be unable to perform a certain tasks.  With enough notice, most employers are able to easily accommodate a short-term shift in job responsibilities.

Camille Cash, MD

Time off when working in an office environment

will vary from surgeon to surgeon and technically you should adhere to the recommendations of your chosen surgeon.  If you were my patient, you could probably return in 4-5 days as long as you were no longer taking narcotics and could perform the duties of your position and had the ability to take breaks as you felt needed.  But that is very early in my book.

Curtis Wong, MD

Breast augmentation recovery

With the type of work you do, you can expect to be back at work in five days easily.  If your work involved heavy lifting, I would recommend more like ten days to two weeks.

Ronald J. Edelson, MD

Breast Augmentation recovery time.

The amount of time to recover from a breast augmentation will vary from patient to patient, but here are some ranges that I see in my practice. Patients will be off prescription pain medicine in 3 - 5 days and then return to office type work between 5 and 10 days after surgery. I place my patients in a soft, supportive bra for 3 weeks. I allow light exercise activity (no lifting) to begin around 10 days and then after 3 - 4 weeks I allow the patient to slowly increase their activity level. During this time of increasing activity it is very important for the patient to listen to their body. No sleeping on the stomach for 3 weeks. Swelling will often be present for 4-6 weeks after surgery. The implants will have settled into position around 3 weeks. Scars will not reach their final point until approximately 1 year after surgery.

David P. Stapenhorst, MD
Sugar Land Plastic Surgeon

Your plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to returning to your specific line of work. He/she will know how you are progressing and whether or not you have experienced any complications. Generally, most patients are able to return to the “desk job” within 5 to 7 days. More strenuous work, for example involving lifting or extensive upper body movement, will require more time off.

Your recovery time before returning to work may range from 1 day to about 7 depending upon the size of the implant relative your size and your tolerance for pain.  Select a plastic surgeon who performs hundreds of breast augmentations each year and has good reviews and before and after pictures.

You should be off narcotics before you go back to work. Most ladies are using only advil for discomfort by the 4th to 7th day. You won't be jogging or back to a vigorous exercise routine until about 6 weeks postop.

Ronald V. DeMars, MD

How long is the recovery from breast augmentation and how much time should you take off work?

Thanks for your question!  Typically, for breast augmentation, patients return to office work in 4-7 days, but it depends on your level of discomfort.  Most of my patients stop taking their narcotics after 3 or 4 days and then are free to return to office work as long as there's no lifting involved.  Good luck!