To gain weight for a BBL or not.. Confused?!?

I've done a lot of research and still get mix reviews when it comes to gaining weight for a bbl. I was told to gain weight before my surgery, at the moment I'm 27% body fat according to some measurements and stuff. I have a nice body I was just trying to gain weight for my butt, instead I'm gaining weight under my chin on my arms and thighs, scary lol so I wanted to make sure it's necessary or even worth trying to gain weight at this point. I'm at my heaviest 144 at 5'7. I have 105 days till surgery.

Brazilian Butt Lift/ Fat grafting/Liposuction/ High Definition Procedures/Butt Implants

I appreciate your question. I have done many Brazilian Butt lift procedures and specialize in body contouring.  The amount of enhancement possible depends on how much fat can be harvested from your body. The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam. Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery. Best of luck! Dr. Schwartz Board Certified Plastic Surgeon Director-Beverly Hills Breast and Body Institute #RealSelf100Surgeon #RealSelfCORESurgeon

Weight gain for a BBL?

Thank you for your question. If you put on weight before surgery, there is more to transfer.  But I do not generally recommend this because we augment the buttock during surgery for optimal shape, and if you then lose the weight post operatively you will loose it disproportionately from your augmented buttock and the results could suffer.  We recommend patients to keep their normal weight and body form prior to surgery, and then we are working from a stable situation to create the changes we are working for. That said, you definitely have to choose your surgeon correctly and make sure that he/she has the training and experience to meet your goals with absolute safety.  Best is a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon with specialized expertise in this procedure.

Gaining weight before BBL

As you gain weight your fat cells expand with lipids, as you lose weight they contract.   If you gain weight prior to the procedure you will simply be transferring larger cells, when this weight is lost they will shrink to their typical size.   No reason to gain a lot of weight in preparation, the final retained volume would be no more than it would have been. 

York Jay Yates, MD
Salt Lake City Plastic Surgeon

BBL candidate

Only an exam in person by an experienced plastic surgeon can determine if you need to gain weight before a fat transfer procedure. Remember that you will lose about 30-40% of the transferred fat within a few months after your surgery. Watch this brief video for more information.Best wishes,Dr.Bruno

William Bruno, MD

NO GAINING WEIGHT FOR BBL

Gaining weight for your BBL is only going to make your fat cells larger; larger fat cells can't make it through the liposuction tubes thus only decreasing your fat survivability. I advise all of my BBL patients to be at their comfort weight; this is the weight where you don't have to work to be at; this is because this is the weight you will go to eventually; so let your surgeon sculpt you at this weight; in addition, your fat take rate will be much better.

Arian Mowlavi, MD

To gain weight or not

Ideal candidates are at a stable weight,  in good health , and have excess fat in some parts of the body and too little in other regions.  Gaining weight before the procedure is to no advantage and when you lose weight again the fat cells will shrink just like the donor site fat cells.  Typically, the transferred fat results in a significant increase in volume of the body site being treated.

Gaining weight

Some surgeons recommend that you gain as much as 20 lbs prior to BBL surgery to provide enough fat for the transfer. This method can be effective but it may promote unhealthy habits that are hard to break. You BMI is normal so it would be safe for you to gain at least 10 lbs prior to your procedure.DrBurnett#realself100