Should I be concerned about the unevenness of my breasts? (Photo)

I had a breast lift and silicon implants 6 weeks ago and my breast are very uneven and have been since right after surgery. I don't know if this is normal and it's very noticeable under clothing. The left one also seems to have an oval shape instead of round. What should i do?

Uneven breasts 6 weeks after lift and augmentation

Hello Meherd,

Thank you for your questions and photo. I'm really sorry that you are going through this and are so unhappy with your result.  I wish that I had better news, but I do think that you need to be concerned with regards to how different your left is from your right.  Typically I would advise you to just wait and usually the implants will settle and even out.  However, at 6 weeks this should have started to occur and you have a very noticeable difference in breast shape and position of areola that will almost certainly require a revision procedure to correct after 4-6 months to allow full healing to occur.  

I would encourage you to have a frank discussion with your surgeon about your result and your expectations, and what they are willing to do about it.  You may also wish to seek second opinion consultations with other board certified plastic surgeons in your area who have experience with breast lift and augmentation.  

Best wishes!

Dr. Brown

La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Should I be concerned about the unevenness of my breasts?

Hello dear, thanks for your question and provided information as well…
I have to say that you are still early on healing process, it is too soon to determine how your results are going to be, per now, they look very nice and beautiful, you can have one bigger than the other, feel swollen and also have bruises and open wounds, it is normal and that can happen for the first 3 to 4 months until your implants have settle in. I recommend you to wait and keep using your post surgical bra, that will help you with the shape and support. Hugs!

Tania Medina de Garcia, MD

Based on the current appearance of your breasts, it is unlikely that additional time will improve your asymmetry. After an appropriate period of healing, you could consider revision surgery to improve the shape and symmetry of the breasts. I recommend addressing your concerns with your plastic surgeon. Hopefully, your surgeon will be able to take care of you. Thank you for sharing your question and photo. Best wishes.

Dr. Gregory Park

Gregory Park, MD

Uneven breasts after breast lift and augmentation

Hello meherd, thank you for your question and photo. From your photo, it appears that there is significant asymmetry between the two breasts, and the nipple to inframmary fold distance on the left breast is too long which explains why the breast shape is a bit odd.  You should continue to follow up closely with your surgeon and you may very likely need a revision surgery after 6 months.  The breast shape will continue to settle over the next few months and you should not rush to have this revised until everything is well healed.  Don't despair, it can be fixed!

Goretti H. Taghva MD

Goretti Ho Taghva, MD

During the healing process

its difficult to know exactly what your end results will be and you may be  pleasantly surprised as its hoped your nipple levels do improve with time.  You shouldn't waste your energies on being concerned as you now have to give time for full healing.  BUT you should let your surgeon know of your concerns as you heal so he/she can be thinking about what could be done to improve your results through revisions and what could be done differently to provide a more predictable early result.  You should inquire about your surgeon's revision policy as well as you may need it.

Curtis Wong, MD

Thank you for your question.  Wait until at least 3 months postop before getting a better idea about your results.  With time, swelling subsides and the implants fall down a bit.  Be sure to discuss your concerns with your plastic surgeon.  There's always some degree of asymmetry but if you're ultimately dissatisfied, inquire about revision options with your plastic surgeon.  Good luck.

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Asymmetric Breasts

There is nothing you can do right now except heal. After 3 to 6 months, you can reassess your appearance and decide if a revision is warranted. If so, you should go on a few second opinion consultations with ABPS certified/ASAPS member surgeons that specialize in revision surgery.

Gerald Minniti, MD, FACS