Chin implant, chin liposuction or both? (photos)

I find my side profile to be really unattractive. I know I need liposuction. Do you think liposuction will make my chin appear more attractive or would I need some sort of implant? My chin is looks off. Thanks!

Chin Implant and Liposuction

A chin implant would be a bad idea as you have a deep crease between your lip and chin. You might benefit from liposuction or kybella in your neck area. Kybella is a non surgical method of reducing the fat.

La Jolla Plastic Surgeon

Chin liposuction

You do not need chin implant.  Chin Liposuction is sufficient after a physical examination of this area.  Over 15 years of doing this procedure with micro liposculpture assures amazing results in my hand.

Afshin Farzadmehr, MD

Chin implant, chin liposuction or both?

Hi, I have performed many Chin Augmentations using chin implants for over 30 years.  From the photos, your chin does not appear to be weak but there is quite a bit of excess fat and possibly loose skin under the chin, along the neck and below the cheeks.  Liposuction of these areas would seem appropriate in your case and a chin implant not required. When the chin is weak, this creates an imbalance making the nose appear larger, the mid face top heavy and the lower face look short that de-emphasizes the lips and allows early formation of a double chin.  Chin augmentation using a chin implant will add projection to the chin creating harmony and balance to the lower face. 

I have found that placement of a silastic chin implant, through a small curved incision under the chin (also allows excess skin removal) to be very safe, quick, highly effective and far less invasive than a sliding genioplasty.  I perform chin implant surgery in 30 minutes or less, often using a local anesthetic alone.  

Hope this helps.

Improving chin

You ask a very good question!  I like to define what the goals are before giving recommendations.  It is important that the surgeon and you agree on the same goals. Having said that, you have a prominent chin point and a short vertical height to the area of your face below the lower lip.  This creates a very deep crease directly above your chin. This appearance is caused by your skeleton/bone structure---- not fat. I have to assume your occlusion(the way the teeth come together) is good. You do have subcutaneous fat excess throughout the lower face and upper neck. You have two issues that are addressed differently.  Improvement of the skeletal appearance will best be handled by a sliding horizontal osteotomy of the chin to get vertical height and soften the crease above the chin. Chin implants are good for increasing projection of the chin but are very poor in your situation. The subcutaneous fullness can be addressed with weight loss and conservative liposuction to smooth out the contours.

George Orloff, MD, FACS
Burbank Plastic Surgeon

Choosing the correct treatment

Liposuction will most likely work well for you.

You should not have had a chin implant.

Your chin is already pointed.

Adding a chin implant so this will create something called a witches chin.
Insufficient bony chin projection or a small mandible can cause fullness in the chin and neck area.
It's possible to have a small mandible with a pointed chin.

This may be the case with you.

An accurate facial analysis or assessment should be made during an in person consultation.
I suggest consulting with several board-certified plastic surgeon to see what may be your best options.

Mats Hagstrom M.D.

Mats Hagstrom, MD

Neck liposuction and chin implant procedures

It is very difficult to tell what may be needed from one photograph with part of the Face blocked out and the chin in an elevated position. It's best to post a full set of facial photographs in a chin neutral position to make a determination about facial balance and proportions including the amount of chin recession and fatty deposits in the neck.  Liposuction in the neck can address removal of fatty deposits in that location, while a chin implant accomplishes bringing the chin forward to help with facial balance and is complementary to the neck liposuction.  For many examples of neck liposuction and chin implant before-and-after's, please see the link and the video below

Chin liposuction

Thank you for your picture! Chin liposuction or a combined procedure such as ThermiRF (or accusculpt) would make a vast improvement in the appearance of your neckline by removing the tissue under your chin while helping tighten the skin as well.  This helps enhance the jawline - which is what gives you a youthful contour.  As far as chin implant is concerned, based on your profile I am concerned that a chin implant would over-project your chin.  A simple guideline is to look at your profile, and draw a line straight down from the lower lip.  The anterior aspect of the chin should just about reach that line.  In your case, you have a pronounced labiomental sulcus, which is a whole different issue which would not be solved by chin implantation.  I'd have to see your mouth move during conversation and smiling as well as a frontal view to get a better idea of your overall function in the lower third of your face.  Anyways, make sure you discuss all these issues during your consultations.  I hope this helps!

Miguel Mascaro, MD
Delray Beach Facial Plastic Surgeon