Can I have an arm lift with a scar which could be tucked into my armpit? I'd like to avoid the long scar down my arm (Photo)

If you want a significant amount of tightening, the arm lift is a much better procedure.  If you are looking for a minimal result, an axillary procedure can be used.  Select a plastic surgeon who performs hundreds of body contouring each year, has great reviews, and has great before and after pictures.

What kind of brachioplasty?

You have a very common presentation for arm laxity. Unfortunately, no one wants scars down the arm. In reality, there is probably very little correction possible in this situation using just a scar in the armpit. The scar on the arm is often the main consideration the patient has to deal with for a surgery that otherwise can give very nice results.

Ira H. Rex lll, MD
Fall River Plastic Surgeon

Axillary scar

I think the answer to that question depends on the surgeon you choose. I personally do not think you are a good candidate for a brachioplasty with a scar in the axilla only.  It will pull the skin up toward the armpit but it will not change the circumference of the arm. By looking at your photos I would recommend going with a scar that extends down your arm, it will tighten and smooth the skin better. Good luck with your decision.

Francis Johns, MD
Greensburg Plastic Surgeon

Short scar arm lift - possible?

Thank you for your question about your short scar arm lift.

• The short scar arm lift will give you a little improvement -
  • The risk is feeling afterwards that you didn't get value for the money.
  • If you want tightening down your arm, your better result will be with a standard arm lift.
  • But it is definitely a bigger procedure - discuss the pros and cons of both at an in-person consultation.

Always consult a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon.
Hope you find this information helpful. Best wishes

Arm Lift

It is possible that you are a candidate for a mini-arm lift. It depends on your expectations in regard to the amount of tissue removed. See a board certified plastic surgeon to review your options.

Arm lift

Thank you for your question and photos.  Based on the photos alone, it appears that you could possibly be a candidate for an arm lift with a short incision.  This can only be confirmed during an in-person evaluation with a board-certified plastic surgeon.

Dr. Results
Miami, FL

Short Scar Armlift

Hi, thank you for posting this question. Depending on your skin quality, you could be a great candidate for a short scar armlift . If combined with liposuction, this techniques allows further sculpturing and advancement of the excess skin. I think it is worthwhile discussing that option with your surgeon.

best of luck!

Bianca Knoll, MD Frankfurt/ Germany

Bianca Knoll, MD
Frankfurt Plastic Surgeon

Can I have an arm lift with a scar which could be tucked into my armpit?

Thank you for your question.  Just by an initial look at your photos, you may be a candidate for a limited incision arm lift.  You would need to be examined to evaluate the extent of your laxity and be sure.  Consult with an experienced board certified plastic surgeon.  Good luck!

Zachary Farris, MD, FACS

Limited scar or smart- liposuction will likely result in underpowered results leaving you with residual laxity in the arms.   A formal Brachioplasty will aid give you the best contour throughout the upper extremity.  I place the incision in the inner arm so it's hidden at all times that you are not waving to people.  Other surgeons prefer the back of the arm.   Seek consultation with a board certified plastic surgeon to discuss what procedure is right for you.

Jacob Bloom, MD

Can I have an arm lift with a scar which could be tucked into my armpit? I'd like to avoid the long scar down my arm

Thank you for your question and photos.  
The arm lifting procedure is a great procedure to remove excess skin and adipose tissue of the upper arms. However, this procedure carries a major drawback: sometimes difficult scarring that may require scar revision (more so, in my experience, then other procedures).
I have tried placement of the resulting scars in the bicipital groove (between the biceps and triceps muscles) as well as a long the inferior–lower aspect of the upper arm. I have found higher patient satisfaction with the latter approach. If the excision can be planned such that the scar falls along the frontal aspect of the lower arm, then the scar may be visible only when the patient raises his/her arms.
As with many plastic surgical procedures, the planning of the incisions and resulting scar line is critical. However, even with attention to detail, the resulting scars may not be ideal and revisionary surgery is often necessary to improve the appearance (for example, the width) of the scars.
Best to seek consultation with board-certified plastic surgeons who can demonstrate significant experience achieving the types of outcomes you will be pleased with. Learn about the pros/cons/possible risks/complications associated with the procedure as well. You may find the attached link, dedicated to arm lifting surgery concerns, helpful to you as you learn more.