Is It Okay to Occasionally Pick Nose Three Months Post Reduction Rhinoplasty?

Is it okay to occasionally pick nose three months after undergoing a reduction rhinoplasty? Just the tip, less than an inch from the nasal openings. The urge is quite high and is not going away with just saline sprays. I mainly wish to know if such occasional picking would affect the final result (enlarge the tip, enlarge the nasal opening, etc.) Thank you.

{{ voteCount >= 0 ? '+' + (voteCount + 1) : (voteCount + 1) }}

One should really never “pick” at one’s nose.  If you need to clean the inside of your nose,  either gentle blowing or using a Q-tip to gently clean just inside the nose is recommended.  It’s doubtful that you will do any damage otherwise, but if one is not extremely careful, this is always a possibility. 

Jonathan Ross Berman, M.D. , F.A.C.S.

Boca Raton Plastic Surgeon

Picking nose

In my practice I have patients use q-tips gently after the splint is removed. This is used for two weeks best done after showering or after using saline nasal drops.  After 3 wks post surgery, gentle nasal blowing is ok.  I would avoid picking for several months even if tempted. You may cause bleeding, but check with your doctor.