What are your best recommendations for aftercare from TT, BA with BL, i.e. compression garments and scar therapy.

Firsy of all, I love this site! Finally doing something I've wanted to do for quite some time. Having a TT, BA and BL, scheduled for 3/27/15. Currently 5'4", 156 lbs. Have a whole list of pre-surgery do's and don'ts paperwork from my PS, but my biggest concern is aftercare.

Every surgeon has his/her own recommendations but in general you will need to be with someone after the surgery, follow the surgeon's recommendations regarding the wound care and compression for the tummy tuck. 

Beverly Hills General Surgeon

Post Op Garments & Scar Treatment

The purpose of the post-procedure #garment is to provide some gentle #support and to reduce swelling following a #TummyTuck or #Abdominoplasty. If it feels too tight or causes pain, take it off. Patients wear the #elastic garment for several weeks after surgery, as directed by their doctor. Some choose to wear it longer for several months for comfort.

Some severe #scars can be treated with re-excision, laser, kenalog/5-FU injections, creams, silicone strips and other methods to reduce and improve healing. Additionally, scar therapy with scar maturation products (e.g. BioCorneum or Embrace) are suggested for managing scars. However, we recommend you wait to use scar improving products until a few weeks following your surgery.  Its best to consult with your board-certified Plastic Surgeon beforehand. She or he will make suggestions according to your procedure and medical records in addition to discussing your pre-op preparations. Also, such may be provided for you with your pre-op material and prescriptions in time for your recovery period. You will learn more about preparing at your pre-op appointment.

Postoperative management of the mommy makeover patient.

First of all the only instructions that count are from your surgeon. Compressive garments are for comfort in most plastic surgeons ask their patients to wear them for at least two weeks. There are great differences of opinion about management of the incision for the betterment of the final scar. I don't believe and scar creams but your surgeon might.

Congratulations on your decision to proceed with "mommy makeover" surgery. Your plastic surgeon will be your best resource when it comes to specific "do's and don'ts" before and afterwards. A few words of advice  I provide to my patients may be helpful to you:
1. Make sure you are doing the procedure for the right reasons (for yourself) and that you have realistic expectations. Be aware that an improvement in the “problem area” may not translate to an overall improvement in your life situation. You are bound to be disappointed with results of the procedure if your motivation for doing the surgery is not internally driven.
2. Time your surgery carefully; generally, it is not a good idea to have surgery done during or immediately after a stressful period in life (for example divorce or death of a loved one). The additional stress of surgery will undoubtedly be more challenging to deal with if a patient's emotional reserves our already exhausted. Remember, that an improvement in your physical appearance will not translate to an improvement in your life situation.
3. If possible speak to patients who have undergone similar procedures and query them about the toughest times of their recovery period. Any practical hints previous patients can provide may be very helpful.
4. Make sure you are aware of potential complications that may arise how to reach your surgeon if necessary.
5. Make sure you have a strong and patient support system (several people if possible) in place who have time/patience to take care of you. Arrange for professional nursing if any doubt exists regarding the availability and/or stamina of your caretakers.
6. Be patient with the healing process, understanding that it will take several weeks to months to feel “normal” again. It may also take many months/year to see the end results of your surgery.
7. Be prepared to distract your mind with things of interest such as books, magazines, and movies.
8. Expect less of yourself; do not go back to work, school or chores too early and let others take care of you (for a change).
9. Pick your surgeon carefully (a well experienced board-certified plastic surgeon) and trust in his/her advice. Keep in close communication with your surgeon and do not hesitate to communicate questions/concerns and the emotional swings that you may experience.
10. Resume all medications that you were using preoperatively when cleared by your plastic surgeon and stop the use of narcotics and sedatives as soon as feasible after surgery.
11. Keep in mind the end results as you go through the tougher emotional times after your surgery.
I hope this,  and the attached link, helps.

Post Surgery Recommendations

Contact your surgeons office, they should be able to tell you what their post operative instructions are. Everyone has a different opinions on this and their reasons for them. Good luck, Dean Vistnes. 

M. Dean Vistnes, MD
Bay Area Plastic Surgeon

Mommy

It is my pleasure to answer your question. I recommend you to make a list of all your doubts and give it to your surgeon and im shore that he will orientate you.

Aramis Vega, MD

What are your best recommendations for aftercare from TT, BA with BL, i.e. compression garments and scar therapy

The BEST recommendation is to ask your chosen surgery exactly his/her recommendations since each of us have our own requirements....Good Luck... 

Planning a mommy make-over

Thank you for asking about your mommy make-over after care.

• Since your surgeon knows what is being done, her/his office is your best source.
  • You will certainly get post-operative instructions that explain what you need to do.
  • You will want to wear the compression garments as s/he directs you.
  • Not every surgeon uses a garment after a tummy tuck. Sometimes just a binder.
  • As for scar therapy - don't do anything without your surgeon's approval.
  • Very often, nothing special is needed - let your surgeon be your guide.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
Hope you found this answer helpful. Best wishes.

After care for a Tummy tuck, Breast augmentation with a lift and liposuction depends on the surgeon

When I preform a tummy tuck with liposuction of the abdomen and hips and often other areas of the body as indicated, I do not use drains but require the patient to wear abdominal compression garments for two weeks. The patients usually select to wear them for up to 6 weeks for their own comfort. The technique I use is with liposuction of the abdomen which is safe because I do not undermine the upper half of abdomen above the umbilicus. Drains are not needed because of the limited undermining and the fact that I suture the superficial fascia to the deep abdominal facia. Also limits the discomfort and expedites the recovery and the patients stand up straight in 5-7 days. 

With the breast lift and augmentation I do use drains because of the danger of fluid collecting around the implants. These are usually out with in 3-7 days. I put the patient in a special stretchy bra which I recommend they wear for up to 6 weeks. 

Carl W. "Rick" Lentz III, MD

Post-operative instructions

Post-operative instructions should be given at your per-operative appointment. Every patient is different. In our office we offer patients several brands to choose from when it comes to compression garments. Typically, you would need an abdominal binder and a good support bra. You need to discuss that with your Board Certified PS.