Need help with pain medication questions.

I am doing alot of researching on the BBL and see that the pain medication that we are given is Percocet. My question is, is there a different medication you can give that works just as well for people like myself that cant take percocet because it makes me sick? I mean like really sick..... I have a breast lift with implants scheduled for March 2 in Tampa and didn't even think to ask them about what pain meds are given for that. Is that percocet also?

Pain medications for BBL

Thank you for your question. There are other options for pain medications if you are not comfortable with the one you were prescribed. Be sure to discuss with your plastic surgeon so he can prescribe a different pain medication. Best of luck!Dhaval M. Patel Double board certified Plastic surgeonHoffman Estates BarringtonOakbrook Chicago

Hoffman Estates Plastic Surgeon

There are many great pain medication options today. You need to discuss with your physician to evaluate what is best for you based on your past history. 

Richard Zienowicz, MD
Providence Plastic Surgeon

Thank you for your question.  there is no real standard of one pain med over another.  different doctors have different preferences.  also, if you let your doctor know that Percocet makes you sick, they can give you another pain med.

Rigo Mendoza, MD

Pain medication after surgery

There are a wide variety of narcotic and non-narcotic pain medications.  This variety exists because different people respond differently to different medications.  Since you have clearly not done well with Percocet ask you surgeon for a different medication.  In my practice I might recommend Dilaudid.

Pain medications after surgery

Hello and thank you for your question.  Many plastic surgeons have different protocols for pain control after surgery.  I try to give my patients whatever I think will be of most benefit to them based on their pain tolerance and the severity of the procedure they are having. If my patient has had a bad reaction to a certain medication, I then prescribe them something different as there are a lot of choices.  For example, in someone like yourself who is sensitive to Percocet (which has oxycodone and Tylenol), I would consider using Norco (which has hydrocodone and Tylenol). I also have my patients place a scopolamine patch which I order them from the night before to decrease post-op nausea and vomiting and they remove it 24 hours after surgery.  It is also important for the surgeon to have a great rapport with their anesthesiologist as fluid management as well as  adjunctive meds during anesthesia can decrease post-op nausea.  I also have my anesthesiologists administed IV Tylenol and this significantly decreases pain and the need for post-op narcotics. The other component to pain control is to add muscle relaxers (I like to use Valium) which work synergistically with the narcotics to help control pain and muscle spasms that occur due to surgery. You should discuss your options with a board certified plastic surgeon.  Not only is it important to find a plastic surgeon skilled in the procedure which you are seeking, but pain control is an important adjunct to the quality of your overall experience.  I hope this helps!

Sincerely,

Dr. Sean Kelishadi

Sean Kelishadi, MD

Pain medication choices after cosmetic surgery

There are several choices of pain medications after any surgery. Also I like to add a muscle relaxant such as soma to help decrease the need for pain meds. 

Shahriar Mabourakh, MD, FACS
Sacramento Plastic Surgeon

Brazilian Butt Lift / Liposuction / Fat Grafting / High Definition Procedures

I appreciate your question.

Yes.  Discuss this with your surgeon at your pre-op visit and he/she can make the necessary changes to your prescriptions.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.
Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz