6 weeks post op Mommy Makeover with unresolved hematoma on abdomen. Is it likely it will liquify, or require surgery? (photo)

Had multiple complications with Mommy Makeover. Excessive blood loss, 4 transfusions and hematoma on abdomen above incision. Seeing new PS who is wonderful. Won't see him for two more weeks. We are waiting to see if Hematoma will liquify and absorb or require surgery. How likely is it to resolve at this point? Size is roughly 5x5 and is causing unsightly ripples on abdomen.

Contact Your Plastic Surgeon Immediately!

If you have concerns about your #healing, or pain that you question to be unusual, it is important to call your plastic surgeon to discuss these further asked to be examined. All surgical #procedures carry some degree of #risk. Always discuss your issues and concerns with the Plastic Surgeon during and following your consultation. Also, another element to a #satisfying result of your procedures are realistic #expectations.

6 Weeks Post MMO

Thank you for your mommy makeover question and I am sorry to hear about your first experience. It is difficult to give a true diagnosis with photos alone, but it does appear as if your hematoma could be resolving on its own. Feel free to discuss your concerns directly with your plastic surgeon as he or she will appreciate the open communication. Best to you. –Dr. Coan

Brian Coan, MD, FACS
Raleigh-Durham Plastic Surgeon

Hematoma after mommy makeover

Thanks for your questions and photographs.  Its always hard to advise based on photographs alone but it appears that your hematoma may be resolving, although it can take many weeks. Continue to monitor and closely follow your surgeons post operative guidelines. Its important to monitor closely and treat accordingly if any issues arise.

Hematoma the abdomen is best treated by drainage.

A significant hematoma should be surgically drained. Smaller hematomas may liquefy and can be drained by aspiration in the office. Leaving a hematoma untreatable yield a large area of swelling as it becomes organized and may take months to resolve.

Hematoma after tummy tuck (abdominoplasty)

If the skin is not compromised then taking a wait and see attitude with a small hematoma is reasonable.  Ultrasound is a good tool for following this non-invasively.  Skin rippling should settle if a proper procedure was performed

Hematoma after tummy tuck

Thank you for asking about your mommy make-over.

• I am so sorry you had multiple complications and delighted you have a surgeon now you can trust.
  • Often a hematoma is converted to scar which gradually improves.
  • Your surgeon can order an ultrasound to see if fluid remains inside - if so, it can be removed.
  • Otherwise, the wait and see approach seems appropriate.
Always see a Board Certified Plastic Surgeon
Hope you found this answer helpful. Best wishes.

6 weeks post op Mommy Makeover with unresolved hematoma on abdomen. Is it likely it will liquify, or require surgery?

Sounds OK but you could request to see interventional radiologist to attempt drainage under fluoroscopy....

6 weeks post op Mommy Makeover with unresolved hematoma on abdomen

Hi.. thank you for the question and photos... sorry for that inconvenient... From the photo is does not look infected and it seems to be it will solve without surgery.. keep your follow up with your PS

Luis A. Mejia, MD

Lucky for you, it looks like your hematoma is resolving.

Hello floridagirl40,
Thanks for your question.
I'm sorry that your road has been difficult!
It does seem like the hematoma is resolving.  It is important to know that any fluid that is left behind as the hematoma resolves may need drainage if the body can't absorb it.  I would work closely with this new PS to monitor your improvement and make decisions as issues arise.
Good luck,
Dr. Shah

Manish H. Shah, MD, FACS
Denver Plastic Surgeon

Hematoma

I am sorry to hear of your difficulty after surgery.  From your pictures, it looks like your hematoma is resolving and it does not look like you have an infection.  I would continue to let is resolve on its own which may take several more weeks.  Please follow up with your PS.

Anh Lee, MD
El Paso Plastic Surgeon