Is It Obligated to Automatically Have a Lift if Suggested by my Surgeon?

Im currently considering breast augmentation surgery...... I wanted to know if its obligated to get a lift if its is recomended as well. I heard in most situations if your surgeon tells you to get one along with the augmentation its obligated if not they wont proceed with the augmentation

Do I need a lift with my augmentation?

In short, no. That said, it may help give you the "best" result. Depending on the degree of sag you have a lift will be suggested. You may be able to just have an augmentation if the lift you need is not that significant. Without an exam or pictures it's difficult to give more advice. Best wishes. 

New Jersey Plastic Surgeon

Must I Have a Lift With BA?

Remember that plastic surgery is elective.  Although your surgeon may recommend a lift with your Breast Augmentation, it does not automatically mean you must do it.  Keep in mind that your surgeon would like for you to have the most optimal results .  He/she is only making suggestions to help you reach your aesthetic goals, but if you do not feel comfortable doing the lift at the same time, ask your surgeon about waiting and do it later, at additional cost and recovery time.

Andrew Smith, MD, FACS

You can avoid breast lift in some cases

If you are not happy with your surgeon's opinion you always have a right to seek another specialist and see what his recommendation would be. You are not obligated to do procedure you are not comfortable with. This is an elective procedure.
Some patients coming for the consultation for the breast augmentation  are often a little disappointed hearing that they would benefit from combination of procedures: mastopexy and breast augmentation. That being said it is in the patient's best interest to have both procedures done in order to achieve the best and desired result. If you are the candidate for both procedures some surgeons can declined performing just breast augmentation alone as you wish, because they know the end result will be not satisfactory.

Lift or No Lift? That is the question.

When considering cosmetic surgery, don't hesitate to get more than one opinion.  What most patients don't appreciate is that cosmetic surgery is as much art as science.  Regarding your breasts, ask why a lift is needed and what type of lift the surgeon will perform.  Implant choice in terms of type, shape, size and location can all serve to influence what other procedure needs to be preformed to achieve an excellent result.  Make sure your surgeon answers all your questions to your satisfaction and ask to look at pictures of the surgeons work.  Make sure you are comfortable with the surgeon and the operative plan before proceeding.  Good Luck!

Brest lift and augmentation

You are not obligated to have a lift with an augmentation, but if your surgeon recommends it, then your breasts are probably sagging.

Your picture would have been helpful

Please send your front and lateral pictures. You should not get a procedure if you do not want. Your breast may need to have lift in combination with augmentation and not doing it may not give you the results.

Kamran Khoobehi, MD
New Orleans Plastic Surgeon

Breast lift with augmentation

Breast augmentation and lifts are purely elective cosmetic procedures and neither is medically necessary for your health.  With that said, when you see a plastic surgeon for breast augmentation, the goal is to have beautiful breasts after the procedure. If your plastic surgeon feels that there is enough sagging that the breast implants will not fill and support your breast tissue, then a lift with the implants may be suggested.  If you trust your plastic surgeon's reputation,experience, and skill, then you should go along with the plan.  However, it certainly makes sense to get other opinions. If nobody else agrees, then you may feel comfortable with another surgeon.  Keep in mind that the cure for a saggy breast is NOT to stuff it with an oversized implant.

Bruce E. Genter, MD, FACS
Abington Plastic Surgeon

Breast Lift Required?

Breast augmentation is an elective procedure so you are not obligated to do anything.  I would assume, however, that your surgeon feels a lift is in your best interest.  You should make sure you understand the reasoning for this recommendation.  If you are uncomfortable then you should seek another opinion.  I would not try to change your surgeon's mind, however, as you do not want someone operating on you that is not comfortable with the surgical plan.  Either find someone you trust that will do what you want or accept the plan that the surgeon has proposed.

Richard Kofkoff, MD, FACS
Saint Louis Plastic Surgeon

A breast lift may or may not be required with a breast augmentation

When it comes to improving the shape and size of the breasts, a lift is sometimes required to improve the nipple position as well.  This commonly occurs due to breast feeding or massive weight loss.  It's hard to give you and exact answer without seeing you, but I frequently perform breast augmentations with a lift.  This gives the breast a fuller appearance while lifting the nipple areola complex to a more aesthetic position as well.  However, the breast implant alone can give a nice lift to the breast preventing the need for an actual lift.  Thank you for your question...Dr. Schreiber, Baltimore plastic surgeon

If your breast appearance and measurements indicate you would benefit from a lift, this is probably the best approach.  A lift can always be performed secondarily but a two stage procedure will end up costing you more money. Sometimes getting more that one opinion is helpful.

Todd B. Koch, MD
Buffalo Plastic Surgeon