How Long Does Peeling Really Last After Obagi Nu-Derm?

I've been using Obagi Nu-Derm system for 7 weeks now. I am still peeling, and my skin feels dry and flaky. How long will this phase last? Most reviews I've read say that the first 2-3 weeks are the worst, but not in my case.

Obagi Nu-derm

Obagi Nu-derm is a great system. I recommend that system in my office. I have alot of patients in your situation. They all get frustrated by the flaking and peeling, but grin and bear it, because the results are well worth it. If you are really red and peeling quite a bit,. you can probably back off the retin-A, but in most cases this will pass after a few more weeks.

New to Nuderm?

What you are experiencing is very common. Just remember, the first phase (1-6 weeks)  is the worse for symptoms of reddness, flaking, irritation & dryness, which can be treated with Hydrate, Hydrate Lux and or 10% Vit-C serum. Your trained Obagi skin care specialist may also alter your protocol of how often to use your system in order for symptoms to subside. Just keep with it, because you skin will adapt to the Nuderm System in about 4-5 months. And you'll be so happy beause your skin will look & act tighter & brighter more youthful!  

Jonathan L. Sack, MD
Hilton Head Island Family Physician

Obagi creams and dryness

Patients on the Obagi system may feel dry and flaky for a long period of time. To ease the discomfort, we advise patients to begin a ceramide cream such as Elevase Moisture Booster to help strengthen the skin's natural moisture barrier.

Dr. Karamanoukian
Los Angeles

Raffy Karamanoukian, MD, FACS

Obagi Nu-Derm

This experience is very common when using the Obagi Nu-Derm System. Each patient using this program will go through a phase that can last from one to three skin cycles as the skin adapts to the system. The average skin cycle is 40 days. This can vary according to the prescription of Tretinoin that was prescibed to be used with your kit.

Joseph Hunstad, MD
Charlotte Plastic Surgeon