Sexual intercourse after Labiaplasty. Any suggestions?

I had labiaplasty done 6 weeks ago. So I finally was able to have sex. It was the most painful thing I had to stop my husband, I couldn't handle it. For some reason I'm extremely tender around my hymen and feel like it is really dry too. I don't mean just during intercourse, I mean the past few weeks as I've been healing I've noticed that I feel very tender and dry, It's not moist in that area Which is not like me. Is all this normal in the healing process? When will it all get back to normal?

Sex after surgery

Patients return to most normal activities immediately after surgery with the exception of activities that will create direct pressure on the area, such as certain exercise equipment and sexual activity. It will be necessary to refrain from these forms of physical activity for approximately 4-6 weeks.

Labiaplasty

Thank you for sharing.  I usually suggest patients wait at least 6 weeks after surgery but everyone is different. You shouldn't do anything that hurts you. Listen to your body. If you still feel sore after 6 weeks, you should wait until its more comfortable for you.

Pain and dryness

Keep patiently healing, and as you get accustomed to your new labia, see if management is needed or not.  You may try an oil like olive or coconut with intercourse.  From there, vaginal dryness can be due to many factors, and the cause needs to be clearly established, whether it is a skin condition or another local process like bacterial imbalance.  This can be evaluated by an experienced general and cosmetic gynecologist.  There are many prescription and procedural ways to manage dryness, and once the cause is determined, the best management can be determined.  Continue to heal, and then choose your consultant if you need one, good luck!

Labiaplasty: Postoperative Results

Thank you for your question.  It is challenging to access your current situation without a physical examination.  I would recommend evaluation by your surgeon for evaluation.  Good luck.     

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP (Cosmetic Urologist -- Cleveland, Ohio)

Jeffrey S. Palmer, MD, FACS, FAAP
Cleveland Urologist

Sexual Intercourse 6 Weeks After Labiaplasty

Dear Excited Girl, Thank you for posting your important question. In my practice, it is safe to have sexual intercourse 4-6 weeks after labiaplasty and most women do NOT report experiencing much discomfort. I believe that this is highly unusual and you should follow up with your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, that performed your labiaplsty, for a post operative examination of the area. There may be some other underlying cause for your discomfort, and not the result of your labiaplasty. Best wishes, Dr. Richard Swift

L

I appreciate your question.

Since there has been a change in your post op course, please contact your surgeon so he/she can examine you and recommend the most appropriate treatment plan at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

Labiaplasty and sex

At 6 weeks most individuals can resume all activities comfortably including sexual intercourse. It's best to visit your surgeon for an evaluation to determine the cause of your discomfort and dryness. 

Warm regards,

Dr. Pedy Ganchi                                                                                                                                                     Village Plastic Surgery

Pedy Ganchi, MD
Ridgewood Plastic Surgeon

Labiaplasty

I would suggest seeing your surgeon. The labia minora (which I assume was partially removed during your procedure) does offer friction protection and a degree of lubrication during sexual intercourse. A change in sensation is possible with most any surgery. The use of lubricants may be advised during future sexual activity.

Thank you for sharing your question and I am sorry to hear of your sexual intercourse difficulties.  I would recommend seeing your surgeon for an in-person evaluation as this is not a common symptom after labiaplasty.  As they know the full extent of your procedure they can best determine what may be taking place - scar tissue, inflammation, incision difficulties - and offer treatment options. 

Sex after labiaplasty

Usually area should to be healed by 6wks. It is hard to advise without examination. Please see your surgeon. Sometimes local short term estrogen cream course may help

Armen Kirakosyan, MD, FACOG, FACS
East Aurora Urogynecologist