Sexual intercourse after Labiaplasty. Any suggestions?

I had labiaplasty done 6 weeks ago. So I finally was able to have sex. It was the most painful thing I had to stop my husband, I couldn't handle it. For some reason I'm extremely tender around my hymen and feel like it is really dry too. I don't mean just during intercourse, I mean the past few weeks as I've been healing I've noticed that I feel very tender and dry, It's not moist in that area Which is not like me. Is all this normal in the healing process? When will it all get back to normal?

Sexual Intercourse 6 Weeks After Labiaplasty

Dear Excited Girl, Thank you for posting your important question. In my practice, it is safe to have sexual intercourse 4-6 weeks after labiaplasty and most women do NOT report experiencing much discomfort. I believe that this is highly unusual and you should follow up with your Board Certified Plastic Surgeon, that performed your labiaplsty, for a post operative examination of the area. There may be some other underlying cause for your discomfort, and not the result of your labiaplasty. Best wishes, Dr. Richard Swift

L

I appreciate your question.

Since there has been a change in your post op course, please contact your surgeon so he/she can examine you and recommend the most appropriate treatment plan at this time.

The best way to assess and give true advice would be an in-person exam.

Please see a board-certified plastic surgeon that specializes in aesthetic and restorative plastic surgery.

Dr. Schwartz

#RealSelf100Surgeon

Labiaplasty and sex

At 6 weeks most individuals can resume all activities comfortably including sexual intercourse. It's best to visit your surgeon for an evaluation to determine the cause of your discomfort and dryness. 

Warm regards,

Dr. Pedy Ganchi                                                                                                                                                     Village Plastic Surgery

Pedy Ganchi, MD
Ridgewood Plastic Surgeon

Labiaplasty

I would suggest seeing your surgeon. The labia minora (which I assume was partially removed during your procedure) does offer friction protection and a degree of lubrication during sexual intercourse. A change in sensation is possible with most any surgery. The use of lubricants may be advised during future sexual activity.

Thank you for sharing your question and I am sorry to hear of your sexual intercourse difficulties.  I would recommend seeing your surgeon for an in-person evaluation as this is not a common symptom after labiaplasty.  As they know the full extent of your procedure they can best determine what may be taking place - scar tissue, inflammation, incision difficulties - and offer treatment options. 

Sex after labiaplasty

Usually area should to be healed by 6wks. It is hard to advise without examination. Please see your surgeon. Sometimes local short term estrogen cream course may help

Armen Kirakosyan, MD, FACOG, FACS
East Aurora Urogynecologist

It's not your hymen that's tender during sex

Six weeks is the average amount of time that it takes for a labiaplasty scar to heal enough to have comfortable sex. You're obviously not average. Suture material is probably not completely dissolved and it is causing inflammation that doesn't like the friction of sex and other symptoms you describe. Wait a few more weeks and go see your surgeon.

6 weeks post op pain with labiaplasty

Thanks for sharing. It is very difficult to say what the problem is without an examination.  Sometimes surgeons labiaplasties extend into the perineal area and sometime the area fuses from side to side.  You really should see your surgeon as all surgeons labiaplasty techniques differ. If after 6 -12 weeks you do not have an answer to your problem I would seek a new surgeon for an evaluation.

John R. Miklos, MD, MS
Atlanta Urogynecologist

Pain With Sex After Labiaplasty

The labia are a completely separate area from the hymen. Did you have a hymenoplasty as well? In terms of your labiaplasty, perhaps during your procedure, some of the external labia skin was shifted internally to where the moist mucosa should located. This could explain your dryness and pain. Definitely discuss this issue with your plastic surgeon. Best of luck.

Millicent Odunze-Geers, MD, MPH
Sacramento Physician

Talk to your surgeon

Sorry to hear of your troubles., Unfortunately labiaplasty surgery is not the same in every surgeon's hands. Different doctors perform different operations. The experience your report is not typical in my patients. I suggest you speak with your surgeon and get the advice you need.

Best Regards,

John Di Saia MD

John P. Di Saia, MD
Orange Plastic Surgeon